In July 1922 Rev. W. McBride of the St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Mortlake had a meeting with the Garden sub-committee to discuss how the 500 pounds sterling bequest from the Late Thomas Montgomery could best be spent. His suggestion was that the money should be spent on either a kiosk, pavillion or recreation hall and pavillion combines with kitchen and fireplace was agreed to with exact site to decided at a public meeting. Cr Montgomery, a local businessman and a councillor, had loved the gardens and had assisted to transform the area from a swamp into a thing of beauty. The design was chosed by his widow who had seen a smilar design in King's Park whilst in Perth so the plans were obtained from that City. The work was carried out by Archibald Cluny McDonald and completed in September 1924. In December 1924 the Montgomery Pagado was unveiled to the public by Cr Wells Brumley after which the Red Cross ladies served tea.
Inscriptions & markings
THIS TABLET IS DESIGNED TO COMMEMORATE THE GENEROSITY OF THE LATE COUNCILLOR THOMAS MONTGOMERY BY WHOM THIS PAVILLION WAS GRACIOUSLY BEQUEATHED TO THE TOWN OF MORTLAKE AND TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF HIS NOBILITY OF CHARACTER AND EXTREME WORTH AS A CITIZEN