Jar and Lid
From the Collection of Bright & District Historical Society operating the Bright Museum 2 Station Street Bright Victoria
- Chinese stoneware ginger jar (00232.1) with lid (00232.2), Mainly green glaze, base of jar and inside of lid not glazed.
- Base diameter 66mm., mouth diameter 47mm.
- 00232.1, 00232.2
- chinese, ginger, jar, goldfields, gios, tableware, glaze, stoneware, harrietville
- Brought to the Ovens Goldfields by Chinese men working in the area in the 19th century. Most likely made in China.
- Aldo Gios recorded the location of where most of the pieces in this collection were found. Some maps drawn by Aldo Gios also give more detail. This detail is rare, as most pieces of broken crockery were discarded and complete items were usually collected with no thought to recording the location they came from. Part of one of the largest collections of Chinese ware found in the Upper Ovens area and the only one recording the location where found.
- 11 Jun 2017 at 6:33PM