Samuel McGeorge was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1850. He was trained for the ministry at Moore College, Sydney. He was Vicar in Ararat for 10 years prior to coming to Warrnambool in 1899, to become the 3rd Vicar of the Parish. He was inducted on June 1st by Bishop Cooper. He showed a deep regard for the welfare and happiness of his parishioners. Christ Church progressed well under his charge. He suffered a very painful and distressing illness which forced him to obtain leave of absence from his clerical duties, but he continued to visit and encourage the sick and sorrowing. On December 4th 1904, Canon McGeorge opened the new Church and Sunday School in Koroit St, East Warrnambool, of which he had established. It was opened as a Mission Hall. It was to become St. George's and the first recorded service was on February 11th 1906. He preached his last sermon at Christ Church on Dec 4th before illness prevented him performing his duties. He resigned from the Vicariate shortly before his death in Warrnambool on December 16th, 1905. The stained glass window in the north wall of the second nave was a gift of many parishioners. Depicting St. Michael, it was erected in memory of Rev Canon McGeorge, and was unveiled by Dean Parkyn on December 23rd, 1906. His widow Mrs Emma McGeorge, remained an active church worker until her death in 1933. The Lych gate at the Koroit Street entrance was built with a bequest from her.
Stained glass lancet window, north wall, north nave, depicting Saint Michael, the arch-angel Michael.
Inscriptions & markings
Saint Michael. To the Glory of God and in memory of/ Samuel McGeorge Vicar 1899 - 1903