Memorial window: Elizae (Eliza) RUTLEDGE - "By Thy Glorious Ascension Good Lord Deliver Us"
From the Collection of Christ Church Anglican Parish of Warrnambool 230 Koroit Street Corner of Koroit Street and Henna Street Warrnambool Victoria
- Stained glass, lancet window, south wall, main nave. Depiction of the ascension of Christ.
- 2.46m x .62m
- rutledge, christ church warrnambool, eliza rutledge, eliza kirk, farnham park
- Eliza Rutledge (1820-1888) was the daughter of Rupert and Jane (nee Newby) Kirk. She married William Rutledge in St James’ Church, Sydney on 18th August, 1840. She and William had five children, two sons and five daughters. Recorded accounts tell that Eliza was “beloved for her kindness and hospitality” and that she and William kept open house for all manner of social events and occasions. Eliza died at Farnham Park, Dennington, on 31st August 1888. She is buried at Tower Hill Cemetery.
- The marriage of Eliza to William Rutledge, a man of historical importance in the development of Port Fairy, Warrnambool and the western district of Victoria, places her as a person of importance.Their daughter Susan Fleetwood is also memorialised in a window in Christ Church, Warrnambool. Their son Thomas Forster is also memorialised with a tablet positioned near the Eliza Rutledge windows.
- "By Thy Glorious Ascension Good Lord Deliver Us"
In Latin: +In Memoriam+ Elizae Rutledge quae pridie idus Februarias/ MDCCXX nata pridie kalendas Septembres MDCCCXXXVIII obit/ liberi amantissimi Gulielmus Rutledge et Susanna Fleetwood pietatis/ indicio hane Jenestram posuerant Beati qui sunt mundi corde.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM