Historical information

The Ballarat Technical Art School made many honour boards for schools and organisation in Victoria and interstate. Their own was made, but the names were not listed.

The Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report for 1921 states: 'It has been decided, for the present, to record the names of our students who served in the warm, in an Honor Book, and to defer the erectin of an Honor Board until we can feel ssured that the Roll is complete. the wide spread occupations of our students has rendered it very difficult for us to secure detailed information of their service. A handsome Honor Book and Case has been designed and executed by the staff ad students of the technical Art School, and the engrossing of the names and military records will be proceeded with as soon as possible.

The Technical Art School was quite busy with commissions. The SMB Annual Report of 1918 states: 'under the direction of the Art principal (Mr H.H. Smith), the work of the Art School continues to receive wide public recognition. Handsome Honor Boars have been designed and executed for the Sydney Sports' Club, the St Arnaud High School, the Birregurra State School, the Wendouree State School and the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club. The School also designed the certificates for the Young Workers' Patriotic Guild, the 'Herald" Shield for perpetual competition at the technical Schools' athletic meetings, the "Hansen" Shield for competition among the Northern District High Schools, two metal tablets for the Castlemaine high School, and a certificate for the Grampians Secondary Schools' Association. Numerous Honor Books and Mural cases have also been designed for State Schools.'

Over 400 former students and staff of the Ballarat School of Mines served during World War One. The 1920 SMb Students' Magazine said' 'Many students left Australia with the first Contingent, and since then, the School has been represented on every field where Australians have fought, from the first landing at Gallipoli to the decisive victory on the 8 August 1918.'

The influence of the school was appropriately shown in the fact that at least 13 of its students were officers in the Australian Mining Corps.

The title page has the initials 'D.J.' which most probably stands for Donald I. Johnston, a teacher with the Ballarat Technical Art school from 1920 to 1949.

The Ballarat School of Mines World War 1 Honor Book remained uncompleted for more than 90 years. The names of over 400 SMB staff and students who served their country were not inscribed until 2012, despite names, ranks and service records being compiled. A restoration project was instigated as part of the 140th anniversary of the Ballarat School of Mines in 2010. Names were inscribed into the book by Calligrapher Lyn Forrester. The University of Ballarat believed this project is important not only to SMB's history, but the families and descendants of those who served while studying or teaching at SMB. The restoration project involved names being hand written in calligraphy into the Honor Book and was funded with the assistance of the 'Restoring Community War Memorial Grant'. The memorial was designed and made by the staff and students of the Ballarat School of Mines Technical Art School under the direction of Principal Herbert H. Smith. In 1921 the Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report recorded: "It has been decided, for the present, to record the names of our students who served in the war, in an Honor Book, and to defer the erection of an Honor Board until we can feel assured that the roll is complete. The wide spread occupations of our students has rended it very difficult for us to secure detailed information of their service. A handsome Honor Book and case has been designed and executed by the staff and students of the Technical Art School, and the engrossing of the names and miliatary records will proceed with as soon as possible. The Ballarat Technical Art School and was involved with the design and manufacture of numerous WW1 memorials. When it came time to complete their own memorial, the Principal died, and the Honor Roll must have been overlooked in the confusion that ensued. There have been numerous theories about why the Honor Roll was never completed, one being that it was because the SMB Principal, Maurice Copland, literally worked himself to death organising repatriation classes for ex-soldiers who attended SMB. The Courier of 18 November 1922 said of Maurice Copland: “He put his very best into the work for the welfare of the soldiers; in fact, he did too much for the good of his physique, for he wore himself out in the services of the returned men. If ever there was a war victim the late Mr Copland was one. But for the stress of work entailed by those repatriation classes and the amount of general war work which he performed Mr Copland would probably have been with them today." Understandably, SMB was thrown into some disarray by their Principal's death and the Honor Book was not completed. The University of Ballarat would like to finally honor its SMB war veterans by completing the Honor Book and as a further mark of respect, dedicate the project to Maurice Copland. The Ballarat Technical Art School undertook many honor boards. The Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report 1918 states: "Under the direction of the Art Principal (Mr H.H. Smith), the work of the Art School continues to receive a wide public recognition. handsome Honor Boards have been designed and executed for the Sydney Sports' Club, the St Arnaud High School, the Birregurra State School, the wendouree State School and the Ballarat Old Colonists' Club. The School also designed certificates for the Young Workers' patriotic Guild, the "Herald" Shield for perpetual Competition at the Technical schools athletics meetings, the "Hansen" Shield for competition in the northern District High Schools, two metal tablets for the Castlemaine High School, and a certificate for the Grampians Secondary Schools' Association. Numerous Honor Gooks and mural cases have also been designed for State Schools." The 1920 Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report stated: Public appreciation of the High standard of design and artistic craft work produced by the students of the Art School, under the direction of the Principal (Mr Herbert H. Smith), continues to be demonstrated by the lage number of important commissions entrusted to the school, not only by the public bodies and business firms by the Education Department and public bodies all over the State." "Amongst the important local commissions received during the year was the designing and supplying of the Municipal Council's Address of Welcome Casket for presentation to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, the designing and supervising of a large four-light stained glass window for the Lydiard Street Methodist Church, ... and supply numerous honor books, honor boards, etc., for public institutions and school." "The School has been honored by, and has acceded to the request of the Education Department to supply designs for the title page, chapter headings and initial letters for the War Service Book which it is about to publish, Mr F. Tate, director of Education, recognising the students' work in this direction by an appreciative letter of thanks. The Education Department has also been instrumental in directing to the School applications from all parts of the State, including Melbourne, for the School to supply competitive sports shields, honor boards, books and designs for certificates, and various decorative objects. The School has therefor been responsible for much work coming to local Ballarat firms which would otherwise have found its way to Melbourne or other centres.

In 2011, as the result of a 'Restoring Community War Memorials Grant' calligrapher Lynton Forrester was commissioned to record over 400 names into the honor book.

Physical description

A Victorian Blackwood World War I Honor Board holds a red leatherbound Ballarat School of Mines Honor Book. The book includes a title page relating to the Ballarat School of Mines and Industries.

The Ballarat School of Mines Honor Book and case was not finally inscribed with names until 2012.