Photograph - Colour - Old Quadrangle, Melbourne University
From the Collection of Victorian Interpretive Projects Inc. PO Box 93R, Redan, 3350 Victoria
- Colour photograph in digital format of the arches of a sandstone building at Melbourne University.
- university of melbourne, eight hours day, eight hour day, 8 hour day, gawler, featherstone, fm white, tasmanian sandstone, sandstone, francis white
- It was during the construction of this building that stonemasons put down their tools in April 1856 and marched to the City of Melbourne and inaugurated a movement which won the Eight Hours Day for building workers in Victoria. The victory became an international benchmark in the history of the labour movement.
This is the oldest building on campus and was constructed of Tasmanian freestone between 1854 and 1857 to the design of architect Francis M. White. For many years the building was used as the University's Administrative centre, library, lecture rooms and professional residences. The east and west wings were extended in 1930 to the design of J.S. Gawler. The quadrangle was completed in 1969 with the addition of the southern wing which contains the University Council Chamber designed by R.E. Featherstone.
- Clare Gervasoni (Photographer)
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM