From the Collection of Churchill Island Heritage Farm 246 Samuel Amess Drive Newhaven Victoria
- Silver holder for 4 cigars awarded to Dr Harry Jenkins, owner of Churchill Island 1936-63.
- 10 cm x 8 cm x 2 cm
- trophy, harry jenkins, motor bike racing, churchill island
- The item was awarded to Dr Harry Jenkins for a motorcycle race. Jenkins was a Great War air ace and racing driver and had a dental practice in Collins Street Melbourne. He owned Churchill Island from 1936 to 1963 and bequeathed it to Margaret Campbell on his death. Sister Campbell had been nurse to his disabled son and wife and she lived on the island from the time of World War Two. The item was given to Arthur Evans, a family friend, on the day of the auction sale of artifacts when she sold the island, approximately 1973.
- 1902 hallmark C
- Albert Sydenham (Silversmiths)
- This trophy demonstrates Harry Jenkins's reputed love of motor sport, speed and competition.
- Engraved on centre 2 sections:
MOTOR CYCLE CLUB OF NSW
4 HP AND OVER
H JENKINS 16-2-10
SYDENHAM PATENT 2272
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM