Historical information

This machine was in use in the 1940's during the construction of the tunnels for the Hydro Electric scheme. This particular photograph was taken in the Tailrace Tunnel which brings water from West Kiewa Power Station to the open tailrace in Mt. Beauty and then into the regulating pondage before discharge into the Kiewa River. This machine (or one similar) is on display on the Northern side of the entrance to the Visitor's Centre. The tailrace tunnel (or West Kiewa tunnel) was commenced in 1947 from both ends and the breakthrough occurred on 22nd. July, 1950


Shows the size of the tunnel and the machinery used for excavation in the 1940's/50's.

Physical description

Black and white photograph

Inscriptions & markings

Handwritten on back of photograph "Jumbo" in Tailrace Tunnel