Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Landscape Plan - Providence House Cockatoo

From the Collection of Cockatoo History & Heritage Group Cockatoo Victoria

Description
Framed landscape design plan under glass, with detailed plant listings. Original watercolour
Size
Height 750mm x Length/Width 950mm
Object Registration
1
Keywords
presbyterian church, rest home, landscape plan, garden design, cockatoo victoria, providence house, black n.c
Historical information
The Presbyterian Church owned three lots of land bounded by Pakenham Road and the northern side of Dorchester Road, between 1927 and 1964. Providence House opened in 1927 as a peaceful country rest home for “tired mothers” from the inner suburbs, and their children. It was also used, at different times, for kindergarten groups and in 1955 for a girls Bible Class for Easter “studies, fun and fellowship.”
When Made
1930's
Made By
Mr. Black, N.C. (Landscape Architect)
Significance
Cockatoo had several guest houses which took paying guests. Providence House did not charge fees, but is the best-documented of the large houses which provided accommodation.
Inscriptions & Markings
Donated by
Victoria & Digby Newcombe
2003
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM