Historical information

Lake Guy Dam is a 'slab and buttress' type wall. A timber frame is built and then filled with concrete. The first batch of concrete was placed in September, 1940. By June, 1941 the buttresses were finished to a height safe from floods and in October of that year a flood of 2,800 cusecs occurred but with only slight damage to the installations. Industrial trouble caused some delays but there was also slow progress on the part of the contractor and the work was taken over by the S.E.C., terminating the contract. The dam was completed in March, 1944. A walkway was made through the dam wall. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident engineer, in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa Area from 1939 to November 1946.


Shows the walkway placed as part of the Lake Guy (Junction) Dam wall. A very good pictorial reference for the future.

Physical description

Black and white photograph of the walkway through Lake Guy (Junction) Dam wall.

Inscriptions & markings

Handwritten in blue ink on back of photograph "Inside Lake Guy Dam".