Single-classroom State School. It is a rectangular-shaped timber building with weatherboard walls, timber frame and corrugated iron roof. An outside verandah is situated along the side of the building. Inside there is a small entry porch, a blackboard the length of the room (with fireplace) and a small store-room/cloak room.
2903 SUNNY CREEK formerly YARRAGON EAST. Sunny Creek State School, first called Yarragon East, situated on Sunny Creek Road, between Yarragon and Trafalgar .... was opened in 1888. Sunny Creek Road is now known as School Road. .... It has generally been served by two teachers or a Head Teacher assisted by a Sewing Mistress. .... Edwin Mann taught there for 35 years, with his wife, Mrs Mann, as the Sewing Mistress for some years. [Extracted from Vision and Realisation: A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria, Vol. 3, 1973. This does not contain any details of the actual construction of the school, which is a typical Education Department building, and may date from later than 1888]
High local historic significance, with some social significance: reunions of old students still held. (Dr Linda Young, Deakin University, significance assessment July 2009).