Historical information

Australian Rules Football history see MAV 00517
1909: Football Team. Only player named is Paddy Green. Since the player guernseys are almost the same and the photographer is the same we presume this is the same team as shown in MAV 00517 named as the Moorabbin Football Team
Moorabbin Football Club, nicknamed the Kangaroos, was the name of two distinct Australian rules football clubs which played in the Victorian Football Association (VFA). The first club, founded in the early 20th century, joined the VFA in 1951 and played there until 1963 with great success; they played home matches at Moorabbin Oval and wore royal blue and white hooped jerseys. The second club played in the VFA from 1983 to 1987.
Moorabbin played initially in the Federal Football League, making their debut in 1909 and competing until 1950. During this time the club won 12 premierships, including winning all six premierships staged over the nine years between 1940 and 1948 (the competition was in recess from 1942 until 1944).
The club entered the VFA in 1951. Its Federal League home ground, the Dane Road Reserve, was not up to VFA standards; so, in 1951 the club played at Cheltenham, and in 1952 moved into the Moorabbin Oval, which the Moorabbin Council had developed during 1951. The Kangaroos made the 1954 and 1955 finals series without success but in 1957 they helped eliminate premiership favourite Williamstown after defeating them by two points in the Semi Final. Moorabbin, who were coached by Bill Faul, took on Port Melbourne in the Grand Final, whom they had not once beaten since joining the league. In another upset, Moorabbin won comfortably to claim their maiden VFA premiership.
In the early 1960s, the Moorabbin Council was very keen to bring a Victorian Football League team to Moorabbin Oval. 1964, the Moorabbin City Council secured a deal with St Kilda, who moved to Moorabbin Oval starting in 1965. The club originally intended to seek readmission for the 1965 season, but in July the club committee decided to withdraw permanently from the Association,and disbanded.

Physical description

Photograph is Black and White. Three row of football boys. Some are wearing striped jumpers, either the stripes are going horizontal or parallel. There are twelve men wearing a suits, four in the third row, four in the second row and four in the first row. One of the boys wearing a suit in the front row, has a hat in his hand. The boys in the front row are kneeling, the second row are standing on the ground and the third row are standing on benches.
Only player named is Paddy Green. Phillip Jones may also be in the photo Row 2 4th from left

Inscriptions & markings

Front of Mount : 1909
Back of Mount : written Paddy Green , stamp HEWITT 92 Regent Street North Richmond