The library has no papers for the Memorial Board. The Board was presented to the Court by the Law Institute of Victoria in honour of those members of the legal profession who served during World War one. The Argus reports that the memorial board was unveiled by Chief Justice Madden on 17 July 1917. Names were added after this date and subsequent research indicates that some names were incorrectly placed on the board, while others, particularly members of the legal profession that were admitted to practice after the war were omitted.
While memorial boards are a common addition many public and civic building after World War One. This large board is more comprehensive than the small board dedicated to members of the Bar that can be found inside the library, it is therefore of great historic interest capturing as it does the names of over 100 men who practiced as barristers and solicitors in Victoria before 1914 and who served in the armed forces during the 1914-1918 war.
Five Blackwood panels with gold lettering of the names of the men who served during WWI. There are stylised copper decorative flowers on the corners of the memorial.
Inscriptions & markings
The main inscription reads “1914 Roll of Honour 1918” “Erected by the Law Institute of Victoria in Honour of those members of the Legal Profession who enlisted for active service in the Great War”.
The board is divided in to five panels, with the names of members of the legal profession who served during World War One. The Centre panel contains the list of the names of the 22 men who died during the conflict.