This postcard was produced in the 1950's for the tourist trade in the Kiewa Valley and Alpine region. It encompasses the period when the State of Victoria was pressured by the ever increasing demand by industry and its population for electricity supplies. Hydro electricity was seen as an untapped natural resource to quench this demand. The Victorian Alps and the rivers flowing into its valleys was ideal for the construction of the Kiewa Hydro Electricity Scheme. The late 1940's saw the development of this scheme and the changing of sections of alpine landscape is covered by this and other postcards/pictures (tourists, construction workers, and established rural populations). This period in time was before the established wildlife and forest/nature groups became political activist who changed legislative acts to protect the environment.
This rural region (Kiewa Valley/alpine plains) was at most only significant to a smaller group of winter sports, summer hikers/horse riders and rural farmers/graziers. The numbers of tourists and the increase in the local resident population was boosted by the construction of the Hydro Electricity Scheme. This influx to the regional population resulted in a corresponding diversity in services and brought about an environment that responded to a growing level of tourists and thereby permitting this industry to grow more rapidly than it would have naturally. This postcard details an attraction to the "cleaner" method of providing electricity. This postcard was purchased in 1950 by a surveyor at Landford's Gap. The couple shown in this photograph would have been employed by the S.E.C. under the Kiewa Hydro-Electricity Scheme.
This item is a scanned black and white photograph of a couple walking along a gravel street in Bogong Village in 1950. See 0480 (A) ,(B), (D) - (F) for other photos of similar postcards
Inscriptions & markings
" SCENE IN BOGONG VILLAGE KIEWA HYDRO-ELECTRIC PROJECT"