Glider – Sailplane
From the Collection of Australian Gliding Museum 20 Jensz Road Parwan Victoria
- Single seat competition sailplane of wood construction.
- australian gliding, glider, sailplane, vogt, lo-150, erdmann, mayfield, geelong gliding club
- The Vogt LO150 is a sailplane first produced in 1954.
Designed in Germany by Alfred Vogt, the LO150 is of wood construction. It has a two piece wing of 15 metre (49 feet) span and a fuselage of monocoque design. The first of the type to be imported into Australia arrived in late 1955. In January 1956 this aircraft type was used to create a world speed record of just under 75 km/h for speed around a 300 km triangle and went on to win the Australian National Gliding Championships.
The Museum’s LO150 (VH-GUC) – serial number EB71 was imported from Germany in 1971 by the late Frank Erdmann and an ownership syndicate formed. Following Erdmann it has had a number of owners. Much of its usage was at Bacchus Marsh and Horsham with excusions elsewhere for competition. This Vogt LO150 was last flown on 3 January 1988. Overall, since arriving in Australia, it has flown 315 hours from 273 launches, which is a commendable average performance of over an hour per flight.
VH-GUC was donated to the Museum by Warren Mayfield in 2002. Substantial glue deterioration was discovered in one wing and, as a result, a decision has been made not to restore the glider to an airworthy condition. In due course the glider will be repainted and further prepared for display.
- Circa 1971
- Designed by Alfred Vogt and produced by the Wolf Hirth Company (Maker)
- This exhibit is an example of the Vogt LO150 semi-aerobatic competition sailplane.
- Builder's serial number EB71
- 12 Aug 2020 at 12:15PM