Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Australian Gliding Museum Parwan, Victoria

The Australian Gliding Museum – Preserving Australia’s Gliding History

The Australian Gliding Museum first met as a committee on 26 February 1999. This brought together a number of kindred spirits interested in preserving older and historic gliders. The Museum membership now exceeds 140.

The Museum has since collected gliders from around Australia, many of which were facing neglect or destruction. The Museum’s collection includes over 40 historic gliders and other gliding archival material, including books, manuals, photographs, films, glider launching winches, aircraft plans, trophies and other memorabilia.
Restoration programs are in place (some completed) for many of the gliders collected. These programs are supplemented by research into, recording and display of, the history of gliding in Australia based substantially on the extensive archival material held by and available to the Museum.
Volunteers meet regularly at the Museum’s facilities at Bacchus Marsh airfield (which includes the Bruce Brockhoff Hangar (named after its patron) and Dave Darbyshire restoration workshop (named after one of its founders)). Visitors are welcome on open days or by appointment.
The Museum enjoys the support of the gliding clubs at Bacchus Marsh and the gliding movement in general through the Gliding Federation of Australia.

Contact Information

location
C/- G.Barton, Unit 48 2 Carramar Avenue Mount Waverley Victoria 3150
phone
+61 0407 773 872

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment – contact President David Goldsmith 03 5428 3358 or Secretary Graeme Barton 0407 773 872

Entry Fee

None – donations accepted

Location

20 Jensz Road Parwan Victoria

This collection results from the special interests of a group which first met as a committee on February 26th 1999. The group, later constituted as The Australian Gliding Museum, shares an interest in researching and preserving older and historic gliders that are scattered all over Australia, with the aim to collect them in a safe place before they become destroyed or deteriorate beyond sensible refurbishment. By 2012, the collection included 14 heritage gliders: Coogee, ES 50 “Club Two Seater”, Flying Plank, Hutter H17, Lessing Glider, LO 150, Northrop Primary, Olympia, Rhon Ranger, Schreder HP-14T, Schweizer TG3a, Skylark 4, T31b “Tandem Tutor”, and a Slingsby T35 Austral, together with other gliding paraphernalia. During the period 2006-2010, the museum constructed three replicas of the biplane glider built by George Augustine Taylor and first flown 5 December 1909. One of these gliders was presented to the National Museum of Australia, for display in its entrance foyer.

Significance

The collection documents early developments in recreational gliding in Australia.

Max Speedy 30 April 2016 12:31 PM

Good morning, Gentlemen and Ladies, I am the president of South Gippsland Gliding Club. My question is that we have two Schleicher K7s whose canopies, front and rear, are in poor shape and in need of replacement. I notice you have in your collection a K7, (ex-VH-GNX). While I don't want its canopies, do you have or know the whereabouts of any canopy moulds so we can keep our K7s in the air? A very important question for us and your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Max Speedy 03 5668 1387

Leave a comment

67 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (67) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

67 items

Glider / Sailplane – Grunau Baby 2B - Grunau Baby 2B - “Blue Grunau” – formerly registered as VH-GLC

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat glider /sailplane of wood and fabric construction in the course of restoration as a non flying exhibit.

Historical information

This Grunau Baby 2B glider, often referred to by those who are familiar with it, as the “Blue Grunau”, was built by Australian Sailplanes in 1946 and acquired by a syndicate consisting of Norm Hyde, Rob Dowling, Leo Dowling, Dick Duckworth and Ted Desmond of the Gliding Club of Victoria. Piloted by syndicate members and other GCV members the glider performed well in soaring and cross country flights at the various sites used by the GCV in 1947, 1948 and 1949. The glider went to Sydney for a while and then returned to be operated by another syndicate at the GCV. Pat Burke and Bob McAliece bought the glider in the 1950s and then sold it to Keith, Jack and Bruce Hearn of Melbourne. In 1957 the Blue Grunau moved to Western Australia and was added to the Glider Register as VH-GLC. There were a series of owners, as follows: 12 December 1957: G.R Higginson of Bedford Park, W.A. 10 January 1958: C. Ludeman of Beechboro, W.A. and G. Brown of Belmont, W.A. 3 November 1959: G.H. Brown of Carlisle, W.A. 24 July 1961: D. Woodward of Karalee, W.A. 20 November 1963: G.H. Brown of Carlisle, W.A. 4 February 1964: Gliding Club of W.A. 30 November 1965: Narrogin Gliding Club, W.A. 1 June 1968: R.T. Brough and J.W. Dewhurst of Rossmoyne, W.A. 15 October 1972: V.G. Kolsky and partners of Medina, W.A. As at the 16 June 1985 the owners were J. Welsh of Huntingdale, and W.A. and A.H. Smith of Gosnells, W.A. The glider has come to the Australian Gliding Museum via the RAAFA (WA) Division. The flying record of the Blue Grunau has been logged for the period of 28 December 1957 to 17 September 1975: Time in air – 559 hours 37 minutes from 1513 flights. The glider suffered damage in a number of flying accidents: in particular from accidents on 4 November 1967 and 17 September 1975. It appears that, in the course of the major repairs that occurred, modifications were made to the airframe including fitting of spoilers to the wings and changing the profile of the fuselage nose. Also, at some stage, the cockpit was enclosed with a Schneider Kingfisher type Perspex canopy. The Australian Gliding Museum has repaired the airframe restoring the fuselage to its original shape.

Significance

To be assessed

Painting – Looking for the Gap - Buckmaster - Looking for the Gap, Glenrowan

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Oil painting on masonite board, in frame – shows white Schneider ES 60 ‘Boomerang’ glider flying over hilly wooded country

Historical information

Painted in 1967

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

On painting – signed by artist 1967 On rear of frame – “Looking for the Gap, Glenrowan”

Rudder from Geelong Gliding Club Primary Glider

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Fabric covered wooden framed primary glider rudder with metal levers decorated with silver and dark red checked design. The item has a cat logo on one side and markings on the other of places where the Geelong Gliding Club flew in its early years.

Historical information

The Geelong Gliding Club was formed in June 1929 at a meeting held at the Belmont Common hangar of Percy Pratt. The club built a Zogling (Primary Glider) based on plans obtained from Germany and flew it off nearby hills at Lovely Banks and other places in the Geelong region. The check rudder design (without logo and markings) is evident in a picture of a Geelong Gliding Club Zogling flying at Tower Hill near Warrambool, Victoria, at Easter 1931 and this lends support to assurances given by people at Geelong Gliding Club that the rudder was part of the Club’s first glider. The logo and markings appear to be a more recent elaboration to the design.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

On port side – Cat logo. On starboard side – Geelong Glider Club; and place names including Geelong Aerodrome, Batesford, Ceres, Lovely Banks, Tower Hill, Koroit, Mount Moriac; and years, 1929-1933

Glider – Sailplane - Hall Cherokee II - Hall Cherokee II

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

The Cherokee is a single seat wooden home built glider. The glider is constructed from wood, plywood, fabric and metal fittings, all commercial grade except for main wing fittings, pulleys, cables and bolts. The fuselage is simple with four main longerons and bulkheads with diagonal bracing. The wing has two identical solid spars which form a geodetic structure, hence the leading edge is non-structural.

Historical information

The Hall Cherokee II glider is an American design for amateur construction from plans. The designer was Stan Hall (1915-2009), a professional engineer, who gained extensive experience in the United States aviation industry during World War 2 including the programs for military gliders. He continued to work as an engineer for aircraft manufacturers and as a consultant to the industry after the war. He was active in gliding and, in particular, the home built sailplane movement. The Cherokee II was one of about 10 glider designs that he produced: it came out in 1956. It is understood that over 100 Cherokee gliders have been built. In Australia the number is possibly 10 or 11. The Hall Cherokee VH-GVO was built by R.D Meares of Caringbah, New South Wales, and was owned the R.D. Meares syndicate made up of A. Jamieson, M. Vitek, H. Whalen, A. Palmer and G. Dunlop, all from around Sydney. It apparently passed to a second syndicate [names not recorded] and then to Barry Leverton of Peat Ridge, New South Wales and Eric Oats of Wahroonga, New South Wales in succession. Eric donated the glider to the Australian Gliding Museum in December 2009. The glider was registered as VH-GVO on 11 October 1973 and given serial number “GFA-HB-82” by the Gliding Federation of Australia. The Logbook for VH-GVO appears to be a complete record of the flying history; in aggregate 210 hours 40 minutes in the air from 331 flights. The first test hop occurred on 29 July 1972 at Camden, where it was probably based for some time. It was also taken on excursion to Forbes (December 1972 / January 1973), Greenthorpe (April 1974), Narromine (December 1974). It is understood that VH-GVO was also flown at the Hunter Valley Gliding Club near Warkworth New South Wales. VH-GVO was last flown on 22 July 1986. Many of the flights recorded are of one or two hours duration. A ‘Silver C’ flight of 5 hours 25 minutes was made at Narromine in VH-GVO on 14 January 1975 by Gordon [surname not recorded but possibly Dunlop]. The glider was inspected and certified as airworthy and in a reasonable condition by Dieter Hildenbrand at the Hunter Valley Gliding Club in July 1986. Since that time, until transferred to the Australian Gliding Museum, the glider was in storage. Structural restoration work has been completed on the fuselage and one wing. However, inspection of the other wing revealed extensive rodent damage to the ribs and spars and consequently a decision was taken to make it a static exhibit.

Significance

The exhibit is an example of home built construction of a type that has proved popular amongst amateur glider builders.

Inscriptions & Markings

Registration VH-GVO – serial number GFA-HB-82

Glider – Sailplane –Dunstable Kestrel - Dunstable Kestrel - often referred to as Percy Pratt’s “Red Kestrel”

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Wooden aircraft covered with plywood and fabric. Fuselage is presently unpainted and the wings and other surfaces are pink doped. Fully restored with the exception of painting.

Historical information

The Dunstable Kestrel was designed by W.L. (Bill) Manuel in 1935. It was the final development of the Wren series dating from 1931 by the same designer: in effect, a modified “Wren”. [Refer Martin Simons, Sailplanes 1920-1945, pp. 165 – 168]. Note, that a Wren was built in Australia in 1930s and flown at Kiama New South Wales. The original Kestrel was built by the Dunstable Sailplane Company established in the United Kingdom by Manuel and C.H. Latimer-Needham. It was destroyed in a crash in 1938. Manuel sold plans for the Kestrel and one was built by W.E. Godson in the United Kingdom. It is understood that the Godson Kestrel has not survived. Three were built in Australia by Rick New, Andrew Balsillie and Percy Pratt. The New and Pratt Kestrels are held by the Australian Gliding Museum. The Balsillie Kestrel is located in the Moorabbin Air Museum Victoria. One was built in the United States by Leslie Barton, Stanley Hrulinski and Thomas Nilon of Newark, New Jersey [refer Soaring, July 1937 p 6, including photograph pp 6, 12.] The fate of this aircraft is unknown. It is understood that the Pratt Kestrel was built in the (early 1930s??? or possibly about 1937???). It was flown regularly by Pratt at Geelong, Victoria. At the national rally organized by the Australian Gliding Association in December 1939 – January 1940 at the Belmont Common, Geelong, Victoria, Pratt, in his Kestrel, recorded an exceptional 13 kilometre cross country flight of one hour 43 minutes reaching a height of approximately 5500 metres [Allan Ash, Gliding in Australia, p 86].

Significance

The aircraft represents a fine example of the type. It is one of three that currently exist in Australia. The aircraft is also important for Australian gliding history because it was built, owned and flown by gliding pioneer Percy Pratt.

Glider - Sailplane - SZD Pirat - Pirat

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat sailplane of predominately wood construction (some plastic elements)

Historical information

The SZD-30 Pirat was designed by Jerzy Smielkiewicz and first flew in 1966. Over 700 have been produced. The example registered as VH-GYN which was donated to the Australian Gliding Museum by Alan McMaster is one of two that have come to Australia. It carries serial number B-333 and was imported as a new aircraft which was test flown on 29 August 1970. During its logged flying life (last entry 15 April 1990) it was operated in the Northern Territory and Queensland and passed through a number of owners before Alan McMaster at Rockhampton; initially the Alice Springs Gliding Club and then individuals at Charleville and Yeronga in South Brisbane. The aircraft flew 1909 hours from 2073 launches. The log discloses numerous silver distance and duration achievements.

Significance

It is an example of the state of sailplane design in the 1960s when construction methods were moving from wood to glassfibre / composites.

Inscriptions & Markings

Sailplane serial number B-333 and registration “YN”

Altair Glider Sailplane - The Altair glider

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

The Altair glider is a single place 18m span cantilever wing glider constructed from spruce and aircraft plywood. The laminar flow wing is completely covered in plywood with a ply balsa sandwich for the leading edge and the airbrakes are unique being located in the trailing edge of the wings. All these features were done in an effort to retain laminar flow over the wing and achieve a high performance.

Historical information

The glider was built between January 1956 and November 1958 with first flight on 20 December 1958. After a few flights the cockpit was lengthened and the glider flown by Cliff Gurr and Ron Adair to complete their FAI Gold C badges. Cliff set an Australian record for an out and return flight (between Gawler and Renmark) of 230 miles (368 km) in 1961. The glider was flown by only Ron and Cliff until Mervyn Waghorn joined Ron to fly in the National Championships at Waikerie in 1967. Ron took the glider to Sydney but left it in the care of Dave Rees, Doug Vanstan, Laurie Harrison, John Harsley and Haydn Dunn of the Geelong Gliding Club while he went overseas. Doug fitted a new canopy and rebuilt the aileron bellcranks to improve their operation. When Alan Patching returned from his overseas stint the glider was flown in competitions and at vintage rallies. On 31 March 1987 Alan purchased the glider from Ron for the sum of one shilling and named the owners as himself, Doug Vanstan and Ian Patching.

Significance

The glider is the only 18m machine to have been either designed or built in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

The wings, empennage and top of the fuselage are painted white with the rest of the fuselage red. The word ‘Altair’ appears on both sides at the top of the fin.

Glider – Sailplane – Slingsby T49 - Slingsby T49-B Capstan 2 seat sailplane

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Sailplane of wood, plywood and fabric construction with some fibreglass elements.

Historical information

The T49 “Capstan” is a two seat trainer, developed by Slingsby in 1960-1961 from an earlier design, the T42 “Eagle”. A major difference was that the T49 cockpit was arranged with side by side seating instead of the tandem seats of the earlier design. The prototype T49 flew in 1961. The production version (T49-B) was slightly different to the prototype in that it was given a taller fin. Thirty two were built by Slingsby. The Australian Gliding Museum example of this type (Serial Number FMD86), designated T49-B, is one of a pair built in 1964 from kits by Fred M. Dunn (Sailplane Services Ltd (NZ)) at Christchurch, New Zealand. It was registered as ZK-GDU in July 1964 and was flown at Wigram Gliding Club and Canterbury Gliding Club. It had logged over 4000 hours as at December 1987. The glider was brought to Australia in 1988 and registered as VH-CQH by Allen Rundle of Maclean, near Grafton, New South Wales. The glider’s last New Zealand maintenance release expired in January 1988. It has not flown in Australia.

Significance

The exhibit is one of a relatively small number (probably about a dozen) of this Slingsby type that remain. It is the only T49B in Australia, as the other built by Fred Dunn in 1964 (and brought to Australia by Allen Rundle) was found to be beyond repair and has been broken up.

Inscriptions & Markings

Marked with NZ registration “DU”

Glider – Sailplane – Schleicher K 7 “Rhonadler” - Schleicher K 7 Rhonadler – Registration Number VH-GNX

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Two seat high wing glider sailplane finished in white with red detailing. The flight instruments are absent from the cockpit.

Historical information

The Schleicher K7 is a high wing tandem two-seat sailplane designed in the late 1950s by Rudolf Kaiser for the Alexander Schleicher company in Germany. The fuselage is built using steel tube framing covered with fabric. The swept-forward cantilever wing is of wood and fabric construction with a single spar and a plywood covered leading edge “D” box for strength. The wing is equipped with Schempp-Hirth airbrakes. The K7 first flew in 1959. It is a versatile design that can be used for both basic and more advanced training of pilots. Over 500 were built. VH-GNX was manufactured in Germany and imported into Australia by Edmund Schneider Limited. It was test flown by them at Parafield Aerodrome, Adelaide, South Australia in March 1964. The original owner of VH-GNX was the Adelaide Soaring Club and it was maintained by Edmund Schneider Limited until May 1971. It appears that about this time it was transferred to the Gold Coast Soaring Club. In July 1974, after it had flown for an aggregate 3075 hours from 13919 flights, it was purchased by the Bundaberg Soaring Club. About 10 years later, it was acquired by the Bendigo Gliding Club. At that stage it had recorded over 4600 hours flying time from 21546 launches. When it was retired from service by the Bendigo Gliding Club in June 2006 due to age related defects the hours flown had reached 7259 from 31820 flights. It appears that the airframe has had a relatively trouble free life with only minor damage from storage / ground handling incidents, a heavy landing (January 1987) and a bird strike (January 2002). It was donated to the Museum in April 2007.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial Number 7134, registered as VH-GNX. The registration appears on each side of the Fin / Rudder in red lettering

Glider – Sailplane – SZD Salamandra Replica - Salamandra

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Wooden glider covered with plywood and fabric.

Historical information

The Salamandra is a Polish glider designed by Waclaw Czerwinski at the Military Glider Workshops in Krakow in 1936. This glider, designated “W.W.S.1”, was produced in substantial numbers prior to the second world war and used in Poland and some other eastern European countries for training pilots. Only one example survived the war, hidden away in the village of Goleszow in Silesia. In addition, no technical drawings could be found, so when the glider was discovered, the Gliding Institute being keen to re-establish gliding in Poland, used the glider to draw up new plans for construction. Five were built for the Institute in 1947 before production was resumed of the “Salamandra 48” at the SZD Jezow Workshops. Improvement were made by adding airbrakes and structural changes for the “Salamandra 49” and a windscreen and larger tailplane were changes adopted for the “Salamandra 53”. An export version designated “53A” was sold to and built under licence in China. Production of the Salamandra ceased in the early 1960s. Total production may have been in excess of 500. The glider was well regarded as a light weight trainer capable of soaring performance. The Museum’s replica was built by Ray Ash and may be may be classified as a “Salamandra 53”. However, he has added something of his own to the design by replacing the cable runs in the wings with control rods. The glider is substantially complete. The wings and tail / rudder surfaces have been covered with poly-fibre and doped. The fuselage woodwork is sealed with varnish. In addition to the finishing work (including painting) and rigging of the main components, the linkages for Ray’s control rod modification may need further engineering to make them operational.

Significance

The Ray Ash Salamandra is the first of the type to appear in Australia. The Salamandra did not play any role in the development of gliding in Australia in the early years. However, it is an important exhibit in that it shows in tangible form a nacelle fuselage training glider in configuration and construction detail. As such it revisits the pioneering era of the 1930s and 1940s in Australia when wood, wire and fabric were the rule and the nacelle primary glider was generally the first step up for pilots who had mastered the basics in an open primary.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Photograph – Gliding Club of Victoria primary glider - Fletcher Smith

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Photographic print -framed

Historical information

Fletcher Smith was a member of the Geelong Gliding Club. He is shown sitting on the Gliding Club of Victoria primary glider at Mordialloc, which was one of the places where that club flew in the 1940s.

Inscriptions & Markings

On rear – Born 17 January 1925 – Fletcher Smith in Gliding Club of Victoria Primary glider, Australia Day 1943 at Mordialloc Victoria – (Signed) F.D. Smith

Glider – Sailplane – L13 Blanik - L13 Blanik – Registration VH-GAQ

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

The Blanik VH-GAQ is a large two seat glider – sailplane of metal construction. It is finished in a white colour scheme with red detailing consisting of a red fuselage nose and adjoining red stripe along the fuselage sides to about midships. The control surfaces (ailerons, flaps, elevators and rudder) are covered with aircraft fabric and painted silver. The Perspex canopy fully encloses the cockpit which is fully equipped for dual flying.

Historical information

The Let 13 Blanik was designed in 1956 by Karel Dlouhý of VZLÚ Letňany as a training glider. It filled that role very well and approximately 3000 have been built since production started in 1958. However, following a fatal accident involving a Blanik in Austria in 2010 that raised concerns about main spar metal fatigue, the type was grounded in Europe and America. In Australia, the extension of the life of this type of glider beyond 5000 hours / 18000 launches is dependent on compliance with directives for the inspection and modification of fatigue critical components. It is understood that VH-GAQ was built in 1971 and first registered on 14 August 1972. It is a Blanik that has been retired from service because of the metal fatigue concerns that apply to the type generally and the expense involved in complying with the applicable directives for on-going airworthiness certification. VH-GAQ was donated to the Australian Gliding Museum by the Australian Junior Gliding Club in 2010.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

Registration VH-GAQ in black on sides of fuselage to the rear

Glider – Sailplane – Slingsby T35 Austral - Slingsby T35 Austral – registration VH-GFX

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Two seat high wing wood and fabric glider – sailplane. The glider has been partly restored for display as a non-flying exhibit.

Historical information

The T35 Austral was developed by Slingsby Aviation from the Slingsby T31 with the wing span increased and a larger rudder to improve performance. This was done in response to an order from an Australian gliding club. The Museum’s glider was built from a Slingsby kit imported from the UK in 1952 and assembled by the Waikerie Gliding Club. The glider came on the Australian register as VH-GFX in May 1956. It was later transferred to the Renmark Gliding Club. In 1968 it was acquired by the RAAF Gliding Club at Laverton, Victoria. The existing log book records for the Museum’s T35 Austral are incomplete. Nevertheless the information at hand shows that it was launched over 17000 times and spent about 2400 hours in the air. It would appear that the glider has not been used for many years, the last flight recorded by the RAAF Gliding Club for this aircraft being in September 1971. As far as is known VH-GFX is the only example of the type to be built.

Significance

To be assessed.

Glider – Sailplane – Bolkow Phoebus C - Bolkow Phoebus C – registration VH-GSW

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

The Museum’s Phoebus is a modern looking single seat glass fibre sailplane with a ‘T’ tailplane. It is finished in white with light red detailing including thin red stripe on wings and some red striping on fuselage sides from nose to underneath wings.

Historical information

The Phoebus is a fibreglass composite sailplane that was designed by H. Nagele, R. Linder and R. Eppler in the early 1960s for competition flying. It is a derivative from the Akaflieg Stuttart Phonix which was the first sailplane to be built of fibreglass. The first Phoebus, a Standard Class design with a 15 metre wingspan, flew in 1964. The Phoebus C is the open class version of the type that was introduced in 1967. It has a 17 metre wing span, retractable wheel and tail brake parachute. Several hundred Phoebus sailplanes (all versions) were made by the manufacturer Bolkow at Ottobrun in Germany before production ended in 1970. The Museum’s Phoebus C, serial number 866, was built in 1969. It was donated to the Museum by Ian Cohn in 2008.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial number 866 on plate affixed inside cockpit – registration VH-GSW which has been painted on the sides of the fuselage rear of the wings. A Freistaat Bayern crest has been applied to each side of the vertical stabilizer.

Glider - Lessing

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Metal bird-like glider – without fabric coverings

Historical information

Kurt Lessing migrated from Dresden, Germany to Australia after World War 2. He was a very skilled machinist and proceeded to build this somewhat strange machine more or less in secret in his workshop at Woodend, Victoria. In addition, Kurt built a ramp 20 metres high, with winches and a 800 metre catapult for launching the glider, with the pilot lying in a prone position. However, he died before completing the project and the glider was never flown. The glider was acquired by the donor, Bill Riley, at an auction.

Significance

The exhibit it is unusual in the use of metal fabrication in the construction of this primitive type of glider. The workmanship is of a remarkable standard and the glider may be fairly described as a work of art.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Glider – Sailplane: Kaiser Ka 2B - Kaiser Ka 2B Rhonschwalbe

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Tandem two seat training glider / sailplane of wood and fabric construction

Historical information

The Ka 2, a tandem two seat training sailplane of 15 metre wing span, was designed by Rudolf Kaiser for Schleicher in 1953. It was a versatile craft due to its good cross country soaring capability. With the Ka 2B the design was improved in 1955 by lengthening the wing span to 16 metres and increasing the dihedral and tip washout. The fuselage was lengthened slightly as well. Schleicher built 42 Ka2s from 1953 to 1955 and 75 Ka 2Bs from 1955 to 1957. In addition Schleicher supplied kits for construction of the sailplane by independent builders. The Australian Gliding Museum’s example is the single Ka 2b built in Australia from plans and is designated as GFA-HB-47. The club concerned was the Illawarra Soaring Club of Sydney. The glider registered as VH-GHO and first flew in October 1960. However, within a short time it was badly damaged and needed major repairs which took over a year to complete. After lengthy service at Illawarra Soaring Club it was transferred to the Stirling Gliding Club in Western Australia in August 1976. Again it suffered damage in a landing accident in 1978. The damaged glider was put into storage at Northam where it remained for approximately 11 years. It was acquired by Mike Valentine in 1989 and brought back to flying condition at Bacchus Marsh, Victoria. The last entry in the log book is dated January 1997 at which time it had accumulated 1170 hours from 2446 flights. The last owner prior to transfer to the Australian Gliding Museum was John Ashford of the Geelong Gliding Club.

Significance

The aircraft is the only Ka 2b built in Australia by an amateur group from plans

Inscriptions & Markings

Registration VH-GHO Serial number - GFA HB 47

Painting - Framed - “Final turn – Arrow landing at Benalla”

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Oil painting showing a yellow and white glider banking in distance over open country

Historical information

Painted in 1967

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed by artist On rear – “Final turn – Arrow landing at Benalla”

Plans – Larkin Aircraft Supply Co. Ltd ‘Lark’ glider -sailplane - Lark Glider Sailplane

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

The plans consists of technical drawings on blueprint paper of the glider sailplane designed William Shackleton and built by the Larkin Aircraft Supply Co of Melbourne in 1930.

Historical information

The Lark glider sailplane was designed by William Shackleton in 1930 to meet the perceived demand for a glider with better performance than primary gliders, in Australia. Shackleton came to work for the Larkin Aircraft Supply Co Ltd as its Chief Engineer and designer in 1929 having been with the Beardmore aircraft company in the United Kingdom. The Lark first flew in January 1931 at Coode Island (the site of the Larkin operations and airfield in Melbourne). It was flown at Tower Hill near Koroit in the Western district of Victoria by Raymond Garrett who made a record breaking soaring flight of 1 hour 54 minutes on 19 May 1931. It was later transferred to the local gliding club and flown successfully until it was damaged beyond repair in a crash in 1933. Plans were sold by Larkin Aircraft Co Ltd for home built construction. A second Lark glider was built from plans by Harold Bradley in South Australia. He modified the wing design by tapering the tips. A third Lark derivative was built in northern NSW and flown by Eric Avery and others at Lismore. It had a modified wing with double struts.

Significance

Although there were only three known gliders of this type made and flown, the plans are of historical significance because it was the first successful Australian designed and built utility glider. The associations with the Larkin Aircraft Supply Co Ltd, a pioneering aircraft manufacturer and the notable aircraft designer of the time William Shackleton are also add weight to significance.

Glider Fuselage – ES54 Gnome

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Tubular steel framed glider fuselage – partially covered with fabric

Historical information

In 1952 and the several years hence, there were repeated calls from some influential gliding people in Australia for small, simple and inexpensive gliders to encourage participation in the sport. A leading proponent, Fred Hoinville, obtained plans from the United States for a tailless glider for amateur construction, the EPB-1 “Plank”, and disseminated copies to interested glider builders. A firm in Sydney (Glidair Sailplanes) also expressed interest in building gliders of that type. Glidair Sailplanes later designed and built a 2 seat tailless version called the “Twin Plank” and built an EPB-1 Plank for Fred Hoinville. Edmund Schneider responded to the calls by designing and testing a small simple glider with a 25 foot wing span (7.57 metres), the same span as the EPB-1. The prototype (designated the ES54 Gnome) first flew on 1 May 1955. While the glider flew without serious vices, it had poor soaring capabilities – as the Schneiders had expected for such as small glider. Perhaps not surprisingly, there was a lack on interest from gliding clubs and private buyers and the project was dropped by Schneiders in May 1956. In 1955, the ES54 Gnome prototype passed to the Port Pirie Gliding Club in South Australia. Modifications were made to the “pod and boom” fuselage. [The history of the glider from 1955 to 1995 is yet to be ascertained] In 1995, the Gnome was found in a wrecked condition and its remains (essentially the fuselage) were recovered by Ray Ash and Cathy Conway and prepared for display in a South Australian museum. The remains were donated to the Australian Gliding Museum by Cathy Conway in September 2014.

Significance

The exhibit is the remains of a glider that was not successful but nonetheless it is of historical interest because it helped demonstrate that the midget gliders were not the answer for making the sport more attractive to potential gliding enthusiasts with limited wealth.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Glider - Sailplane - Golden Eagle

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat wood and fabric sailplane finished with white wings, tailplane and rudder and yellow fuselage

Historical information

The Golden Eagle is an original design by Geoff Richardson. Geoff commenced gliding in the early days of the sport circa 1933 in Melbourne, flying at Coode Island and Mt Frazer. In 1934, he began construction of a secondary type glider but scrapped it upon realizing that a better design was needed. He conducted further research and came up with a sailplane of similar size and general arrangement to the Grunau Baby but with a “Gull” wing using a Gottingen 535 wing section (the same as for the Grunau Baby). Geoff did all the technical calculations himself and even made up and tested a Casein glue for the construction. Geoff competed construction of his new sailplane (which he called the “Golden Eagle”) in 1937 and it was test flown at Laverton at the western edge of Melbourne in September 1937. On the same day, at Laverton, the Gliding Club of Victoria flew its new Grunau Baby 2 sailplane which it had imported as a finished machine from Edmund Schneider in Germany. The Golden Eagle was found to fly well, having a similar performance to the Grunau Baby. In the 1950s, the Golden Eagle was modified by rebuilding the front of the fuselage to enclose the cockpit with a Perspex canopy. A landing wheel was incorporated behind the skid. Spoilers were added to the wings and a trim tab to the elevators. The Golden Eagle has been flown with the VMFG (Victorian Motorless Flight Group) for most of its long life. When donated to the Australian Gliding Museum in 2016 by Alan Patching it was probably the oldest, continuously airworthy glider in the world. Having regard to the historical significance of the Golden Eagle, the Museum has decided to not to fly it anymore to avoid risk of loss or damage.

Significance

The exhibit is of great significance for Australian gliding history – the Golden Eagle is a flyable 1930s aircraft in excellent condition that was designed and built by an Australian gliding pioneer.

Inscriptions & Markings

Registration letters “FC” on fuselage nose port side, Australian flag, Vintage Gliders Australia and VMFG decals on rudder, “Golden Eagle” lettering in red on each side of the fuselage below the canopy, Aboriginal flag decal on port side of fuselage below the canopy.

Glider – Sailplane – ES59 Arrow - ES 59 Arrow – registered as VH-GNH

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

This aircraft is a single seat wooden sailplane with one piece wing. The instruments are not present except for altimeter. Fin and rudder are of swept back design. Colour scheme is creamy off white combined with merging yellow, orange and red elements (similar to Northern Territory logo colours) – a ‘sunset’ theme. The underside of the fuselage has the sunset colouring as does the wing tips and rudder. The aircraft came to the museum on an open trailer that had been designed to carry the one piece wing.

Historical information

This aircraft is one of 9 single seat ES 59 advanced club sailplanes manufactured by Edmund Schneider Pty Ltd in the 1960s. It was first flown in August 1963 and delivered to the Darling Downs Soaring Club at Toowoomba Queensland. At that Club it had 2603 flights and recorded a total airtime of 1475 hours. In addition to many local circuits and soaring and cross country flying, it was used at gliding competitions, including Nationals at Benalla in December 1964, State Championships at Oakey in April 1965, at Warwick in April 1966, and at (Inverell?) in March 1967. On at least 15 occasions flight times in excess of 5 hours duration were achieved. Piloting the glider on some of these long flights were E Maiden, D McCaffrey, and L Richards. On 5 October 1970, the glider had a new life when it was transferred to D. B. Clark of Mangerton New South Wales and subsequently to the Wollongong Gliding Club in New South Wales. It recorded 1927 flights with a total airtime of 1179 hours at the club between October 1970 and June 1988. Competition appearances included the State Championships held at Forbes in January 1972. Places away from Wollongong where the glider was launched include Cootamundra, Wagga, Temora, Marulon, Narromine, Leeton, Nowra, Goulburn, Horsham, Greenthorpe. Notable long flights in this glider while it was with Wollongong Gliding Club includes; 5 hours 41 minutes by D. Illyes on 10 December 1972, Silver C flight of 5 hours 50 minutes by D. Chessor on 29 December 1972, Silver C flight of 5 hours 21 minutes by R. Roots on 28 December 1973, a 226 km flight of 6 hours 57 minutes by P. Riley on 5 January 1975, Silver C flight of 5 hours 16 minutes by R. Lewis on 7 January 1976, a 6 hour 20 minute 300 km triangle flight attempt by D. Illyes on 10 January 1976, a 6 hour 55 minute 300 km triangle attempt by P Rigby on 30 January 1977. In addition P Riley achieved a Gold C height on 2 January 1975 and two other 5 hour flights by unnamed pilots were made in this glider on 5 and 6 January 1977. On 15 June 1988 it was transferred to Ron Geake who transported it to Warrego in Northern Territory (flown once at Alice Springs), and then to Gympie in Queensland where it was flown about 20 times by the end of 1995. It was also flown on a small number of occasions at Forbes in New South Wales in 1996 and 1997. During 1998 and 1999 the glider was sparsely used (9 flights) at locations that have not been recorded. From May 1999 until transfer to the Australian Gliding Museum in May 2011 it apparently was not flown. Aggregate airtime hours for the glider stand at 2702 hours 53 minutes. It has been launched 4569 times. In addition to the numerous minor repairs, the glider has undergone some significant overhauls. In 1964 and 1968 it was damaged in heavy landings. On the latter occasion the fuselage was partially rebuilt with a number of new bulkheads supplied by Edmund Schneider Pty Ltd. In 1971, the major overhaul included the stripping and replacement of the fabric and a complete repainting. It had 20 and 30 year inspections in November 1982 and March 1994 respectively. On each occasion it was noted that the aircraft has not had any major accidents. After the 30 year inspection it was re-covered with “Stits” fabric and again repainted. An ES59 Arrow (not the Australian Gliding Museum’s example) was the first Australian designed sailplane to fly at a gliding world championship. It was flown by Jack Iggulden at Argentina in 1963.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

Registered as VH-GHN Plate in cockpit with details of manufacturer states; manufactured by E. Schneider Ltd, Adelaide SA; Type ES 59; Serial Number 62; Date August 1963. Letters ‘NH’ in red on fuselage sides rear of wing, and on underside of port wing. Stickers of Northern Territory logo (silhouetted bird in flight on sunset) are located on each side of fin.

Glider - Sailplane - Kaiser Ka8b

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat sailplane made with a steel tube framed fuselage and wooden wings. A glass plastic moulding has been used to form the top of the fuselage forward of the cockpit. The structure is fabric covered.

Historical information

The Ka 8 was designed by Rudolf Kaiser in 1957 and built by Alexander Schleicher. It has been described as the single seat version of the Ka 7 Rhonadler. The Ka 8 proved popular with clubs in its role as a sailplane for early solo flying. Over 1100 were produced. The Museum’s example is a Ka 8B which is the second variant of the design, distinguishable by a larger blown Plexiglas canopy and improved ailerons. The particular glider was built by the RAAF Williamtown Gliding Club from kit supplied by Edmund Schneider Ltd of South Australia as agent for Alexander Schleicher. It was test flown on 8 July 1967. For a period from August 1994 it was owned by a syndicate at the Bendigo Gliding Club. The last entry in the log book is dated January 1995 at which time the glider had accumulated 1148 hours from 2303 flights. From 1967 to 1994, the glider was flown at numerous places including Williamtown, Bellata, Warkworth, Dubbo, Waikerie, Quirindi, Tamworth, Redding, Narromine, Leeton and Keepit. During 1994 and 1995 it was flown a small number of times at Bendigo. A notable flight recorded in the logbook is dated 31 October 1971 when W. Kenny reached 11,000 feet in height during a flight of 5 hours 10 minutes. The last owner prior to the transfer of the glider to the Australian Gliding Museum in 2015 was John Ashford of the Geelong Gliding Club. The glider carries Serial Number 8478-SH and appears to have been registered firstly as VH-GPA and secondly as VH-GMA. The last registration (VH-GMA) was cancelled in 2011. Curiously, the serial number recorded for this registration is 8479-SH.

Inscriptions & Markings

The glider serial number 8478-SH and the registration VH-GMA.

Glider – Sailplane - Dunstable Kestrel - Dunstable Kestrel – commonly referred to as Ric New’s Kestrel

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Wood and fabric glider – off-white colour scheme – crazed flaking paint on fuselage – nose of fuselage has been modified by addition of streamlining – damage includes impact holes to plywood, especially on starboard side – wings have been stripped of fabric covering and some ribs are missing – tailplane and rudder are in reasonable condition although, like wings, have been stripped of fabric. Overall, while the main elements of this aircraft are present, there are many missing fittings and will require extensive works to restore to a static display standard approximating original condition, if that course is chosen.

Historical information

The Dunstable Kestrel was designed by W.L. (Bill) Manuel in 1935. It was the final development of the Wren series dating from 1931 by the same designer: in effect, a modified “Wren”. [Refer Martin Simons, Sailplanes 1920-1945, pp. 165 – 168] Note, a Wren was built in Australia in the 1930s and flown at Kiama in New South Wales. The original Kestrel was built by the Dunstable Sailplane Company established in the United Kingdom by Manuel and C.H. Latimer-Needham. It was destroyed in a crash in 1938. Manuel sold plans for the Kestrel and one was built by W.E. Godson in the United Kingdom. It is understood that the Godson Kestrel has not survived. Three were built in Australia by Rick New, Andrew Balsillie and Percy Pratt. The New and Pratt Kestrels are held by the Australian Gliding Museum. The Balsillie Kestrel is located in the Moorabbin Air Museum Victoria. One was built in the United States by Leslie Barton, Stanley Hrulinski and Thomas Nilon of Newark, New Jersey [refer Soaring, July 1937 p 6, including photograph pp 6, 12.] The fate of this aircraft is unknown. The New Kestrel (finished in silver paint) was built in 1939 by Ric New and members of the Lake Pinjar Soaring Club. It first flew on 26 December 1939 at Lake Pinjar. The first extensive flight was on 7 January 1940 when Ric New managed to stay aloft for 30 minutes and reach a height of 3000 metres. Unfortunately the Kestrel was badly damaged the same day when another club member Jim Brabazon stalled and spun in. The Kestrel was repaired by June 1940 and flown extensively at Lake Pinjar in 1940 and 1941 until Government authorities intervened and ploughed up Lake Pinjar as a wartime measure to prevent it being used as a landing field by the enemy [Allan Ash, Gliding in Australia, pp 92 – 94]. The Lake Pinjar Soaring club was reformed as the Perth Gliding Club after the end of the war and was joined by Ric New with his Kestrel [Allan Ash, Gliding in Australia, p 103]. The New Kestrel was held in storage at the Gliding Club of Western Australia prior to transfer to the Australia Gliding Museum. The Deed of Gift indicates that it was formerly owned by Wally Williams.

Significance

The aircraft is in poor condition and has some non-original elements. It is one of three that currently exist. Nevertheless it is considered to be an important exhibit for relating the history of gliding in Western Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Glider – Sailplane – Schreder HP-14T - Schreder HP-14T – Registration VH-GIB

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

All metal single seat glider sailplane

Historical information

The Schreder HP 14T is a variant of an all metal single seat sailplane designed by Richard Schreder of USA in the 1960s. The HP14T featured an 18 metre ‘C’ wing and a ‘T’ tail in place of the Wortmann section wing and ‘V’ tail of the HP14. The design was marketed to home builders in kit form. However Slingsby Aviation in the UK produced three HP14s with a conventional tail arrangement. The Museum’s Schreder HP14T (VH-GIB) first flew on 31 August 1974. It has recorded 280 hours in the air from 239 launches to 28 January 1989, the date of its last flight. It is understood that VH-GIB was partly constructed in North America and completed in South Australia by C.G.M. Coxon. Ownership passed to the Georgeson Syndicate of Rockhamption, Queensland and later to Warren Mayfield of Victoria. Warren Mayfield donated the glider to the Museum in April 2002.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

Registration lettering on rudder and fuselage sides

Glider / Sailplane - ES 57 Kingfisher

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat wooden sailplane with fabric covering, in a partly restored condition.

Historical information

The exhibit is the prototype Kingfisher Mark 1 (serial number 23) built by Edmund Schneider Ltd and first flown on 8 July 1956. It was first registered as VH-GDH on 3 May 1957. The ES57 Kingfisher is a small to medium size single seat glider that was designed to have similar control responses to the successful two seat trainer, the ES 52 Kookaburra, thus providing for a smooth transition for solo rated pilots to advance to a single seat machine. Edmund Schneider Ltd built nine Kingfishers and supplied kits for two more for construction by others. Harold Bradley (South Australia) built a modified Kingfisher with shoulder mounted wings. Kingfisher serial number 23 was originally owned by the Waikerie Gliding Club (South Australia) (1956 – 1959). From 1959, it had a nomadic existence in the hands of a string of owners in New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Territory and finally Queensland, again. In the early 1990s the glider was deregistered and flown as an ultralight sailplane. After a change in ownership, the glider was moved to Hervey Bay, Qld and re-registered as VH-GKN. After very limited use, the glider was sold again and placed in storage at Hervey Bay. In January 2004, the owner, who by then had moved overseas, entrusted the glider to Ian Patching and Geoff Hearn who moved it to Melbourne. Ian Patching returned the glider to flying condition in February 2004. Since then, it has been stripped and recovered with new aircraft fabric and requires finishing work. The logged hours flown for the Kingfisher total approximately 190 hours from 549 flights. The glider was donated to the Australian Gliding Museum on 3 June 2014.

Significance

The Exhibit is one of the Edmund Schneider Ltd gliders that was designed and built in Australia in the late 1950s. It is one of the four Kingfishers that are known to survive – the Bradley Kingfisher and two of the standard Kingfishers are known to have been destroyed – the fates of five are unknown.

Inscriptions & Markings

None

Glider – Sailplane – Vogt LO-150 - Vogt LO-150 – Registered as VH-GUC

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat competition sailplane of wood construction.

Historical information

The LO150 is a sailplane first produced in 1954. Designed in Germany by Alfred Vogt, the LO150 is of all wood construction. It has a two piece wing of 15 metre (49 feet) span and a fuselage of monocoque design. The LO150 is development of the 10 metre (33 feet) span LO100 which is one of the few fully aerobatic sailplanes in the world. The LO150 is in the semi-aerobatic category. The first of the type to be imported into Australia arrived in late 1955. In January 1956 this aircraft was used to create a world speed record of just under 75 km/h for speed around a 300 km triangle and went on to win the Australian National Gliding Championships. The Museum’s LO150 (VH-GUC) – serial number EB71 was imported from Germany in 1971 by the late Frank Erdmann and an ownership syndicate formed. Over the years J. Buchanan, N.L. Lovell and Partners and W.S. Mayfield have held ownership interests in the glider. No history of the glider prior to its arrival in Australia is known. Its first flight in Australia was on 6 February 1971 at Bacchus Marsh when a test flight of 35 minutes was conducted by way of aerotow by Doug Vanston. On the same day another 3 flights totaling 2 hours 55 minutes were conducted at Bacchus Marsh. Shortly after its initial testing VH-GUC was transported to Horsham for the annual competition there and from 7 flights over the forthcoming days it averaged just on 4 hours per flight. Local flying continued at Bacchus Marsh on a sporadic basis until December 1972 – January 1973 when the glider was flown at the National gliding competition at Waikerie in South Australia. Some 17 flights were undertaken there in VH-GUC for a total flight time of 34 hours 33 minutes covering cross country courses of 1366 km. From 1974 to 1978 the glider was flown regularly. It appeared that the annual Horsham gliding competitions each of those years and performed well. It was awarded first place in the Sports Class on day one of competition in February 1978. Over the following years the glider was flown on a sporadic basis until its last logged flight of 1 hour 15 minutes on 3 January 1988. The log for the glider indicates that, since arriving in Australia, it has flown 315 hours from 273 launches, which is a commendable average performance of over an hour per flight. VH-GUC was donated to the Museum by Warren Mayfield in 2002. Substantial glue deterioration was discovered in one wing and, as a result, a decision has been made not to restore the glider to an airworthy condition. In due course the glider will be repainted and further prepared for display.

Significance

To be assessed

Inscriptions & Markings

Registered as VH-GUC

Glider – Sailplane - Slingsby T31b - Slingsby T31b Tandem Tutor

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

The T31b is an open cockpit, tandem, two-seater glider with high, pylon mounted two piece wing supported by double, wire braced, steel tube struts. The glider is fitted with a main wheel, rubber-block sprung, wooden nose skid and steel leaf sprung, brass shod tailskid. The basic controls of aileron, rudder and elevator are not supplemented with pitch trim. Wing lift spoilers and both aerotow and winch releases are fitted. The instrument panels in both cockpits are fitted with an airspeed indicator, cosim variometer and altimeter. This red and silver painted wood and fabric covered aircraft is in excellent condition having been restored to full airworthy status by the Australian Gliding Museum.

Historical information

After completion by Geoff Higginson, the T31b, later registered VH-GDB, was taken to Caversham Airfield, then home of the Gliding Club of Western Australia (GCWA), for its first test flights on July 29th, 1956. With the introduction of this aircraft into the club fleet the club was able to resume dual training after having been dependent on training in primaries for the previous 10 years (the club had had an earlier short foray into dual training with a nacelled two-seater primary glider in 1945/46 which had proved the worth of dual training to them). Unfortunately, after 397 flights, the T31b was crashed on approach on 15 June 1958 at Caversham. The wreckage was sent to Edmund Schneider Pty Ltd in Adelaide by RAAF heavy transport (freight a freebie) for repair. Harry Schneider negotiated with the club for them to buy a new ES52 Kookaburra instead of going ahead with the repair of the T31b as it would be the better value option for them. John Pollnitz, a carpenter/joiner by trade and an ab-initio member of the Waikerie Gliding Club at the time approached the secretary of the GCWA at Harry Schneider’s suggestion to purchase the wreck. John’s offer of 125 pounds was accepted (receipt dated 26. 1.1961) and the T31b, after having the port wing spars repaired by Harry, was transported to John’s garage/workshop at his home at Pennington S.A.. John proceeded with repairing the fuselage which was matchsticks forward of the main bulkhead and broken in two places behind the rear main bulkhead. With no plans to guide him (Slingsby would not sell plans) it was a difficult process, but with the original rudder cables to guide him, he was able to work out the dimensions and successfully jig up the fuselage for repair. Wear marks on the control torque tube enabled him to accurately place some of the new bulkheads. He desired to glider to have a prettier, more Kookaburra like nose than its original snob nose form and this was when it acquired its present, unique amongst T31s, shape. Cleve Gandy, John’s friend and mentor in gliding, assisted with the project. Eventually, due to lack of space, the project was moved to Cleve’s workshop at Port Road, Alberton, where the pair completed it. A fully enclosed canopy, spoilers and pitch trim were added. The main wheel was moved forward a little and the nose-skid was not refitted. The exterior, nose mounted pitot and static probes were not refitted, the pitot and static pick-ups being fitted cleanly into the nose of the fuselage to reduce drag. The first flight of the newly rebuilt glider took place on Sunday 14 October 1961 at Clare S.A., Cleve Gandy and Col McKinnon taking it to 4000ft. on a 45 minute flight. The glider began its new working life at Clare due to John Pollnitz’s and Cleve Gandy’s generosity in loaning it to the Clare Soaring Club to replace the club’s Kookaburra while it was being rebuilt after a blowover. The Kookaburra was returned to service in early December 1962. In the December 1962 issue of Australian Gliding (AG), the T31b was advertised for sale for £500. It was purchased by John Harding and Stan Nightingale of Dubbo. Stan took delivery of the glider at Gawler. On demonstrating the glider at Gawler, Cleve Gandy and Stan Nightingale reached a height of 10,000 feet during a 2 hour flight. Due to the freezing temperatures at that height they would have appreciated its enclosed canopy! The glider flew at Dubbo in January and was flown to Narramine on a goal flight (a distance of 24 miles) with the hope that a new club would be formed there. In the May 1963 issue of AG the newly formed Wimmera Soaring Club advertised for a two-seater glider with which to begin flying operations. John Harding and Stan Nightingale responded offering the T31b for sale. A delegation from the Wimmera Soaring Club including Tommy Thompson, Lex Brown and Reg Stewart immediately dashed to Dubbo and delightedly returned with the glider. Reg Stewart described it in his report in AG’s Club News of October 1963 as “really a beauty”. The Wimmera Soaring Club must have decided pretty rapidly that for training purposes, the glider was better off having a nose skid after all, for by December 1963 it was pictured in AG, armed with a skid forward of the existing main wheel position. It looked very impressive at that time with the club emblem of a brolga painted on the fuselage nose. On 14 March 1966 the Wimmera Soaring Club took delivery of a Kookaburra and put the T31b on the market in order to finance the new acquisition. They were flooded with offers from new clubs and noted that they could have sold the T31b six times over! The lucky purchaser was the Pioneer Valley Soaring Club of Mackay in Queensland [More information needed]. _____________________ Additional Historical Note from Geoff Hearn: VH-GDB is one of five of this type to grace Australian skies. Three including GDB were assembled in Australia from kits supplied by Slingsby’s in England, the other two were delivered as completed airframes. To date only four remain of which two are airworthy. There was a further unique example built which incorporated improvements on the T31b. Its designation is T35 Austral and the one and only example is held in the Australian Gliding Museum collection.

Significance

[To be evaluated]

Inscriptions & Markings

SLINGSBY – T31b (nose – both sides) DB Australian Gliding Museum (rudder – both sides) It has been given Serial Number GFA/HB/12 and is registered as VH-GDB

Glider – Lilienthal Replica - Lilienthal Maihohe Rhinow Glider 1893

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Hang glider made of wood with wire bracing – yet to be covered with authentic cotton fabric.

Historical information

Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) from Berlin, Germany, is widely credited as being the first person to make repeated successful gliding flights. He was known for adopting a thorough scientific approach founded on observations of the flight of birds in relation to the problem of inventing a man carrying heavier than air machine that would fly. He developed and tested bird-like gliders controlled by weight shift by the pilot (a similar method to modern hang gliders). The pilot held on to the glider with his forearms resting in hoops mounted on the main structural beam connecting the wings. The weight shift was achieved by the pilot swinging his trunk and legs. In contrast, the pilot of a modern hang glider is suspended below the glider and, with the use of an A-frame, allows the whole body to be moved around to achieve control. The Lilienthal design apparently had a tendency to pitch down and a tailplane was added to mitigate this problem. Lilienthal flew from hills in the Rhinow region and from a conical hill he built near Berlin. He made over 2000 flights. Importantly, for others seeking to progress manned flight at the time and also for the historical record, reports of Lilienthal’s flights (some with photographs) were published and Lilienthal detailed his experiences and corresponded with other flight pioneers. Lilienthal’s work became well known and influenced Orville and Wilbur Wright in their initial experiments with gliders in 1899 (although in their quest to design and fly an aeroplane they relied on new data created by wind tunnel testing). The replica built by Bruce Hearn is of the 1893 Lilienthal glider. It is very similar to the “Normal-Segalapparat” (Normal Glider) for which patent protection was later granted a few years later.

Significance

The Lilienthal replica glider is an important addition to the AGM collection as it represents the beginning of successful gliding flight.

Inscriptions & Markings

The glider has a small plate with identification details including name of builder (Bruce Hearn)

Glider – Sailplane – Grunau 4 - Grunau 4

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Single seat wooden sailplane with fabric covering. Fully enclosed cockpit. The aircraft is white with Linden Green on the wing tips, tailplane and underside of the fuselage and also on the central wing cover.

Historical information

This aircraft was designed by Edmund Schneider as a single seat medium performance sailplane. Originally designated as the Grunau 3b but later named the Grunau 4. However, it was a new design with fully enclosed cockpit. The main point of difference to earlier Schneider Grunau designs was the tapered wings with the Gottingen 549 aerofoil. This design feature gave the Grunau 4 a better speed range compared to the Grunau Baby 2b or the Grunau 3. The prototype flew on 6 December 1953 and it went to the Waikerie Gliding Club. A second was delivered to the Dubbo Gliding Club in October of the next year and a third (the Australian Gliding Museum’s exhibit) built for the Adelaide Soaring Club in 1959. Another was built by Josef Brabec from a Schneider supplied kit from 1954 to 1956. Ownership history of GFA-HB-37:- Adelaide Soaring Club 1959 to September 1968 RAAF Laverton Gliding Club September 1968 to August 1973 RAAF Wagga Gliding Club September 1973 to September 1975 R.G. Mc Dicken (Southern Cross Gliding Club) January 1975 to May 2010 Derek Hardie May 2010 to July 2012 Australian Gliding Museum From July 2012 The glider was registered as VH-GLX on 21 October 1959. The registration was cancelled on 30 July 2014 as a result of a decision by the Museum to withdrawn the glider from service. The log book indicates that the glider recorded 2362 flying hours over approximately 40 years of active service. There are many long flights recorded. The glider was subject to a major restoration circa 1980 to complete a 20 year survey and address the deterioration that had occurred post 1974 as a result of it being left out in the weather at Wagga for several years. It was also affected by water damage in a flood at Camden in 1988 and rendered unserviceable for several years; and repaired and brought back to flying condition in 1993. The glider was a regular feature of Vintage glider meetings from 1993 to 2001.

Significance

The exhibit represents the final development of the "Grunau" single seat type by Edmund Schneider Ltd in Australia. Viewed together with the Grunau Baby gliders in the ATO Collection (Two Grunau Baby 2, and a Grunau Baby 3A), the changes to this glider type over a 30 year period can be recognized.

Inscriptions & Markings

Identification Plate in cockpit showing that glider is serial number 37 built by Edmund Schneider Ltd in 1959

Painting - Framed - Restless for Flight

Australian Gliding Museum, Parwan

Oil and ink painting – framed – that shows a glider wing hovering above ground in a lane in front of the open doorway of (presumably) a workshop.

Historical information

Possibly this painting is an artistic reference to the Grunau Baby glider constructed by Gliding and Soaring Club of South Australia members in 1947.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed by artist On rear – ‘“Restless for Flight” Alan J Delaine August 1986’