Historical information

The Ballarat School of Mines was the first School of Mines in Australia and was established in 1870.

Physical description

22 page booklet titles 'The Ballarat School of Mines: A Statement of the Objects and Resources of the School.' The book has a number of illustrations including the interior of the Ballarat School of Mines Laboratory, and the former Ballarat Circuit Court House. It includes a statement of the formation, progress, and present position of the School of Mines, Ballaarat.

The image of the Ballarat School Mines Assay Room shows assay furnaces, crucibles, chimney, and teacher Joseph Flude on the far right. This room is now is a building known as the 'Old Chemistry Building'.

Plan and elevation of the new Metallurgical Laboratory and Proposed Chemical Laboratory is depicted.

Inscriptions & markings

On front cover "Recorded in M-A"