Square tin with hinged lid. Wee Macgregors Butterscotch.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Orbost & District Historical Society
Square tin with hinged lid. Wee Macgregors Butterscotch.
Albert (Abby) Trewin (b.21.03.1876 d. 01.07.1970) was part of the Trewin family who were early settlers at Jarrahmond near Orbost. Albert was born at Kingston near Ballarat, shifted to Jarrahmond where the house was called "Hillview", located 3 miles from Orbost on the B Road. The Trewin selection at Jarrahmond had many big trees on it and because these looked a bit like Jarrah trees from Western Australia, they names their property Jarrahmond (which became the district location and the name of Jarrahmond School). He cleared the land with bullocks, horses, crosscut saws, burned the stumps, burying some logs which were too big to burn. Then they milked cows, planted maize, had pigs, drove the pigs to Bairnsdale or to Waygara (c. 1915 when the train reached Waygara) on a buggy track through the bush. Pigs went to Dandenong Bacon Factory where they were processed into Dandy Ham. This photograph appears to be c.1950s - 1960s.
A photograph of one of Jarrahmond's earliest settlers.
B/W photograph of a man walking along a footpath. He is wearing a hat and has a walking stick in his right hand. He is wearing braces, white long-sleeved shirt, striped tie, glasses, polished black shoes. Behind him are vehicles and buildings (shops).
The occurrence of 10 sets of twins at Orbost Primary School at one time was obviously a remarkable occurrence and has resulted in this special photograph being taken of the children.
A remarkable photograph of a 'baby boom' at Orbost Primary School
B/W photograph of a total of 20 young children, some standing, some seated, wearing school uniforms.
On back of photograph are the names of the children (see Media image 2686.1). Snowy River Mail Wednesday 18 September 1968. Twenty twins at Orbost State School. .............................
orbost, orbost primary school, 10 sets of twins
Orbost Primary School was established in 1886 in Ruskin Street and functioned on a half-time basis with Jarrahmond Primary School.
an original photograph of this school
A b/w photograph of a weather-board building, with the words STATE SCHOOL No. 2744 printed in black onto a white board located near the top of the building. Three children in foreground. The photograph has been pasted onto a card which has the words Wishing You a Merry Christmas in gold lettering below the photograph.
orbost, education, orbost primary school
The Welfare Club is celebrating 20 years of service to the Orbost Secondary College (High School).
Names of people associated with the Welfare Club for Orbost Secondary College
Two b/w photos showing a group of people, mostly women, celebrating with a birthday cake.
Celebrations to mark two decades of service by the Welfare Club. Date 1968. 2684.1 left to right: Mrs Jack (Lu) Trewin - Welfare Club President - Mrs Phil (Ethel) McLaughlan, one of the original members - had the honour of cutting the birthday cake. Also in attendance was Mrs Arthur Reynolds. 2684.2 Mrs Lu Trewin reading a letter of appreciation written by headmaster (Mr R Bruce Osborne) and Headmistress (Miss Mary Gilbert) to mark two decades of service by the Welfare Club. Mrs Phil McLaughlan and Mrs Arthur Reynolds both original members, are seated at the table.
orbost, orbost secondary college (high school), welfare club
This photograph is described as being of Forms C & D 1938 or 1939, Orbost Higher Elementary School with the names of the students written on the back of the photograph.
records names of those who attended Orbost Higher Elementary School 1938/39
A b/w photograph of boys and girls in uniform sitting and standing in front of a brick building. The photograph has been pasted onto a backing cardboard which is grey.
On the back of the cardboard is a handwritten list of those people in the photograph. This has been scanned and can be read as a separate image on-line.
education, orbost higher elementary school
These photographs were part of a framed display in the kitchen of Orbost House, a guest house in McLeod Street, Orbost.
historical record of Marlo township and surrounding estuary of the Snowy River
Two b/w photographs/postcards set on to backing board. These photos are of scenery at Marlo. Photographs appear to have been cut from a larger piece of cardboard, possibly a display board.
2682.1 is titled LOOKING ALONG THE BACKWATER AT MARLO. 2682.2 is titled MARLO, EAST GIPPSLAND. Both have the marking of Bulmer, Bairnsdale (the photographer)
The Old Station Homestead site at Corringle Beach was a popular destination for Orbost people to have picnics late 19Century. They would travel out in buggies from Orbost or Newmerella with food hampers, have a picnic, play games etc. This location was always referred to as the Old Station because it had been one of the earliest Stations in this district in the early days of European settlement.
evidence of recreation, entertainment in the Orbost district
A sepia coloured photograph pasted onto grey cardboard. Photo shows a group of people standing and sitting under trees with picnic baskets and hampers in the foreground. Many people wear hats.
On back of photograph: Mrs Reynolds Senr, 72 Boundary Road. Old Station Beach, Orbost
orbost, corringle, old station homestead site, picnic
Bemm River is a small township in East Gippsland. There have been several Bemm River hotels since 1891 when the first Hotel was built by Henry Summer. This Hotel was located near a ford where traffic crossed the river. Annie Morgan was the next person to have a roadside licence to sell liquor at Bemm River, also known as Sydenham Inlet Hotel. In 1927, a hotel was built on the present site at Bemm River, again with the Morgan family. Like many hotels, the Bemm River hotel has burned down or suffered damage through fires and was rebuilt. These photos are likely of a fire at the Hotel in 1994 which resulted in the hotel burning down. It was re-built in 2000 on the same site.
History of Bemm River and its hotel
5 b/w photos showing a building with severe fire damage, and two people in front of the photos (probably owners).
bemm river, fire, hotels
This small hand-held tool was used in the maize industry in Murrungowar (Orbost District) during 1900-1960s. Prior to machine harvesting coming about in the 1960s, each cob of maize had to picked by hand using this tool. Maize growing was a huge industry in the Orbost district and the job of picking the maize involved hand labour by many employees. This small hand-tool would have been common, but is now rare. This particular tool was owned and used by Nelson Northrope (Orbost) in the early 20th Century and used at Murrungowar by Frances Eilman (nee Somerville).
A highly significant small hand tool associated with the maize industry. This item is rare.
A small hand-held metal and leather tool. A metal 'knife' has a curved shape and is attached to 2 leather straps which are connected by a small buckle.
maize growing, agriculture, orbost district
This photograph was taken in 1945, as WW2 was ending. It shows Orbost men who are members of the Orbost Football Club, their Club trainer, and Club President. Football has always been a strong and well-supported sport in the Orbost district, with two teams in Orbost, another at Newmerella and outlying localities. These days (2023), there is only one club still existing in Orbost with a clubhouse and football field at Lochiel Park.
Evidence of Orbost Football Club, 1945
A b/w photograph of a group of 20 men wearing jumpers with a logo OFC and two other men in suits. This is a posed photograph with men at the back standing, and men at the front kneeling. It has been taken on a sportsfield.
On back of photo: Orbost Football Club 1945. Back row L-R Artie Young (trainer), Alex McDonald, Mac Lock, Rick Railey, Tom Wehner, Bill Murphy, Clarrie Stevens, Ray Smith, Alan Hammond, -------------, Clyde Lynn, Maurice Marshall, John Stoddard (President) Front row L-R ----------------, ----------------, Reg Kettyle, Ray Cooney, George Watson, --------------, Sam Lynn, Jim Lynn, ...Parsons
sport, football, orbost football club
The Snowy River can flood over its floodplain at Orbost/Newmerella. There have been wet periods when floods were frequent and covered the floodplain, sometimes causing great disruption to crops and farming, and also to transport. The 1970s was a wet decade with many floods, the largest one in 1971. This photograph was taken in 1978.
Evidence of flood on the Snowy River in 1978.
A b/w photograph of a flood scene with trees and the river in the front, a river bank, and a vast area of water in the background. This photograph has been pasted onto a rough cardboard backing.
Written below the photograph: Orbost 1978
floods, snowy river, orbost
This photograph is of a group of Orbost children and a Catholic Priest, Fr. Spiteri, taken in association with a ceremony of confirmation at St Josephs Catholic Church, Orbost. The building in the background is the nunnery/priest's residence in Browning Street, Orbost. This building is still in existence (2023) though now privately owned. It is located adjacent to the Catholic Church.
Indicated the continuing significance of the Catholic Church in Orbost.
A b/w photograph of 12 children and one man. This group of people is posted in front of tree and a two-story building in the background. The man is dressed in black with a white collar and the children have white dresses and white shirts and black trousers. Many of the girls are wearing white veils over their hair.
On back of photo: Back row L-R Cheryl Fourter, Tony Fourter, Sharon Barr, Father Spiteri, Fred Jonkers, Catherine Murphy, Tom Robinson. Front row L-R Josephine McMahon, Michael Young, Louise Shanahan, John Sanna, Geoffrey Fourter
st josephs catholic church, orbost
Orbost has had a croquet club since early 20th Century, but this photo does not appear to be of Orbost. It could be an event attended by Orbost croquet club players in another location.
A b/w photograph of ladies with croquet sticks on a grass rink. Two white lines across the photo indicating a rink. Some buildings in the background.
On back of photo: 'Croquet Club'
recreation, sports, croquet
Moves to begin an Orbost Agricultural Show was started in 1891 and a Committee was formed. The Society's first Show was held on Tuesday 15 March 1892. The Orbost Agricultural Show continues to the present day (2023) as an annual event held in March. The Committee shown in this photograph are known to be President: John Johnstone; Vice Presidents: F Nixon, M Lynch, A E Rodwell; Secretary: Geo Perry Committee: S Lynn, Geo Answer, C Drevermann, J Bird, J Draffin, J Cummings, R Mosley, H James, A Saunders, P Morris, G Carter, A Pardew, Jas Nixon, J Gilbert, S Grenville, W Scharleman, G Nixon, H Richardson, J Hocking, J Fisher, J Hossack
This photograph shows an early Orbost Show Committee which consists entirely of men.
A badly yellowed and damaged b/w photograph onto cardboard. Both the image and the cardboard are damaged. The photograph is of a group of men, some sitting on the ground, some standing behind.
Written onto the back of the photograph are these words: 1902 Orbost Agricultural Society Committee
agricultural show, orbost
This a copy of an original photo supplied by Lachlan Macalister in 2013. The photo is evidence of local children from farms in the Orbost district attending an Orbost Show. The calves are dairy calves and all of the handlers are children. Orbost is a farming area with dairying and cropping.
An early photo of children at the Orbost Show.
This b/w photo is of a group of children and their calves at the Orbost Show. In the background is a large crowd of people and a tent.
Written onto the photo and below the photo are these words: Aenis Leatham, Marie Colson, Penel Yantses, Sylvia Field, George Leatham, Cathie Kelly, Ruby Joy, Walter Webb, Joe Webb
orbost agricultural show, dairying, children at the show
The Jarrahmond State School No. 2745 near Orbost was one of the earliest in this district. It opened in 1886 at the same time as Orbost and shared a teacher (Campbell McKay who was shortly afterwards replaced by John Rowe who stayed in this position until 1908). The building was financed and built by local farmers on the Stapley property. After a large and damaging flood in the nearby Snowy River in 1893 , the building was shifted to a new location. In 1926, a new building was constructed by the Vic Ed Dept. where it remained until the school was closed in 1948 and children from the Jarrahmond area were then bused to Orbost.
Historical significance as one of the earliest photos of Jarrahmond School students.
A b/w photo of a group of children and one adult in front of a tree. Children in the front are sitting on the ground, others are standing behind. Photo is mounted onto brown cardboard.
On back of photo: Jarrahmond School c.1914. Sally Cole, Angus Cole.
education, jarrahmond school, orbost
This is a photograph of the Marlo Primary School in its original location in Argyle Street, approximately opposite the Marlo Hotel. This small school was opened in 1902 to provide education to local children.
A b/w photo of 8 children standing in front of a fence and timber building with a brick chimney on the right hand side. A sign in black lettering on to a white background can be seen on the building. This reads STATE SCHOOL No. 3433.
On back of photo are the words; Marlo School
This book was compiled and published in 2017. The contents are based on a scrapbook and photographs compiled by Margaret Kleinitz who was Secretary of the Orbost Garden Club during the time when Grevillea Grove was proposed and developed from1979-1989. The development of this garden in a disused quarry in Orbost involved a substantial community campaign and on-going effort, particularly from members of the Garden Club. The demise of Grevillea Grove came when the Vic. Govt. decided to develop this parcel of crown land for a Rainforest Garden and Information Centre. Local resident, Audrey Van Den Berg has compiled this book.
Shows the effort and dedication involved in this community project.
A 40 page book with cardboard cover. Front cover has 6 colour photos of Grevillea plants overlaid onto a plan of the Grevillea Grove garden. This book contains b/w photographs and a written history of the creation of the Grevillea Grove garden in Orbost. It also has site plans and newspaper articles.
grevillea grove, orbost
This 1977 Resources Study was a joint project of the Shire of Orbost & the Dept. of Crown Lands & Survey with the purpose of collating information on natural resources, pattern of public use, and constraints on future use so that management can be formulated.
This report gives and understanding of the resources and management directions of coastal land in East Gippsland in 1977.
A buff coloured cover with black printing and blue tape binding. 71 pages + maps/charts.
THE CORRINGLE CREEK TO SYDENHAM INLET COASTAL RESERVE. A resources study with comment on the implications for management by IAN R. BROWN Research officer and PETER B. LAVERY Land Management Oficer. Coastal management Committee Victoria 1977. Published under the authority of the Coastal Management Committee by the Department of Crown Lands and Survey, Victoria 1977. Printed by James Yeates Printing, Bairnsdale 3875.
corringle creek, sydenham inlet, natural resources survey
This is a report of 1966-67 functioning of the Apex Club of Orbost. It has a membership list at the back of the booklet and also contains the names of office bearers etc. This Report was presented to the Handover Dinner 5 August 1967. President Don McKenzie; Vice Presidents Dennis Robinson, David Neal; Treasurer Graeme Duff; Secretary Keith Murray
Evidence of the functioning of the Apex Club of Orbost 1966-67 with names of members, activities, finances.
A booklet of 13 pages with a grey coloured cover. On the cover are the words Ninth ANNUAL REPORT 1966-67 Apex Club of Orbost ZONE 12 DISTRICT 6 CLUB No. 251. Inside are copied pages of the Report including names of committee members, board members, and past presidents, also several b/w photos of activities, financial report, awards, and the President's Report 5 August 1967.
apex club, orbost
This Register has many inscriptions for Forestry activities in the Orbost region, such as Sleeper Cutting Licenses and other licensed activities such as Wattle Bark Stripping, Saw Mills, Logging Licenses, Sleeper Off-cuts. It contains the names of people involved in these activities, the amounts of money they paid to the Forestry, and dates. This Register appears to start in 1919 and end in 1978.
An excellent resource for research into the forestry industry in the Orbost district since this Register contains the names of men who paid license fees to the Forestry Dept. to allow them to work in the forests in various activities such as sleeper cutting, wattle bark cutting, saw mills, logging.
A hard cover ledger, dark blue/black cover with red binding. The words DEPOSITS REGISTER are printed on the front cover and also on the binding. The ledger's pages are ruled in red for DEPOSITS and REFUNDS.
forestry, orbost, sleeper cutting, wattle bark cutting, saw mills, logging
This booklet was issued as a tourist advertising/promotion for the Gippsland Lakes and Buchan Caves. It was most likely printed in the early 20th Century. This promotion also includes associated areas such as Lake Tyers, Cunninghame (Lakes Entrance), Nowa Nowa, Sale, and Bairnsdale. An early tourist promotion for East Gippsland, focussing on Melbourne tourists travelling to Sale or Bairnsdale by train, and then by steamer or coach.
An example of an early tourism promotion.
A booklet of 103 pages, printed in b/w. The cover is a dk. red paper with gold print, quite fragile. The book contains b/w photographs, advertisements, time tables for trains and steamers travelling through the Gippsland Lakes from Sale to Cunninghame (eg. SS JCD), also a map of the steamer route.
...Guide... To the Gippsland Lakes and Buchan Caves (Written by Frank Whitcombe, and Illustrated by H D Bulmer and N J Caire). Issued by The Cunninghame Progressive Association. J R Coate (President), Alfred Nation (Hon. Secretary), Committee - W S Barke, P Harbeck, E J Wyld, T Roadknight
buchan caves, gippsland lakes, ss j c d, tourism
This book containes the story of Agnes Nixon (nee Ross) and some of the history of Nixon family in Orbost. Agnes Ann Nixon was born in Bendoc in 1879, came to Orbost at an early age and married Frances (Frank) Nixon. Also included are original poems by the author, copies of paper clippings, advertisements etc., and photographs.
Local history of early families in the Orbost district.
A black covered book with gold title lettering and author's name on the spine. 101 pages.
To the Orbost Historical Society from Mary Ann Willis [the author]
nixon family, frank nixon, agnes nixon, ross family, orbost
A sales docket produced for an Orbost Business owned by F C Andrews.
Evidence of an Orbost business owned by F C Andrews
A piece of paper, printed with red guide lines, and black text.
PHONE 19 BOX 144 Orbost ................... 19.. M.................. Dr to F C Andrews To Account rendered
orbost, business, sales
Frank Matthews was a well-respected garage owner and mechanic in Orbost for many years.
Evidence of ownership and existence of the Snowy River Garage, Orbost
Rectangular paper, printed in black ink, the word INDEPENDENT is printed in red inside an oval shape.
An INDEPENDENT Service Station Snowy River Garage (F Matthews) Motor & General Engineer, Orbost Ph. 77 Box 93
snowy river garage, orbost, frank matthews
This is a diesel fuel certificate for an exemption from payment of excise tax, issued to a local business in Orbost. It shows the name of the recipient as ... Hindmarsh, Commonwealth Hotel, Orbost.
An original certificate relating to an Orbost business.
3 b/w printed pages held together by a staple.
A letter to Mr Hindmarsh dated 19 May 1972, signed by ... Goldwater, Collector of Customs, Victoria;
diesel fuel certificate, commonwealth hotel, orbost
The seated man has been identified as Albert Maddern, France 11/3/1919, 3rd Division Signal Company, World War I. This is a studio photograph of Albert Maddern (Orbost) and another soldier. The name of A W W Maddern is inscribed on the W W I Orbost Roll of Honour of those who served from this district in W W I.
A photograph of an Orbost man who served in W W I.
A b/w photograph H-21.8cm W-15.2cm of two men in military uniforms, one man seated, the other man standing.
world war i, albert maddern
These 2 photos are of Orbost men who were part of the 13th Light Horse volunteer regiment. This military training activity continued on after W W I. These photos were taken at the training camp at Seymour, Victoria. The Orbost troop would journey to other areas for training, sometimes to Bombala, and also practice on the Orbost Rifle Range. Although not identified in these photos, George William Wraight was a leader of the Light Horse Troop in Orbost and it is his daughter Dorothy Hepburn who has donated these photos. George W Wraight was the railway-station master at Orbost from 1935. The Troop often met at the Wraight house in Tarra Street, Orbost for training. George had been in W W I in the Middle East with the Light Horse. While at the railway station at Orbost, George had an accident and suffered 2 broken legs which meant that he could no longer work there. During W W II, he worked as a recruiting officer at Sale and Warrnambool. The Troop was disbanded in the c. late 1930s.
Shows evidence of military training activities, Orbost district
Two sepia photographs onto grey card. Both photos show a line-up of 20 soldiers standing at attention. Size is H-22cm W-34cm
In Line Picket 2 Troop C Squad 13 LH - written on to both photos
13th light horse brigade, c squad 2 troop, military training, george w wraight
This is a photograph of Nicholson Street, Orbost taken from the south and looking northwards. Nicholson Street is the main commercial street of Orbost and this photo is of a re-shaping of the street done in c. 1984 by Orbost Shire Council.
Shows evidence of the maintenance works done to refurbish the main street of Orbost
A B/W photograph H-20cm W-25.4cm of a street with buildings on both sides of the street. A piece of earth-moving machinery is working in the background on the street.
nicholson street, orbost
This photo is of Nicholson Street, Orbost, taken from the south and looking northwards. This is the main street in Orbost, with most of the businesses, banks etc. in this street. In 1984, Orbost Shire Council proceeded to do a refurbishing of the main street and this photo is likely from that time.
This photo shows one of the steps in the progression of Orbost.
B/W photograph of a street with buildings on rt. and left and a grader or earth moving equipment working in the background on the street. This photo is H-200mm W-254mm.
orbost - nicholson street - streetscaping
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.