Davey's Hotel at Miners Rest was built sometime around 1850, and Mary Tait was the original Licensee.The gentleman on the white horse is Harry Telford, who was with Phar Lap in America when the horse died.Names of the other men are not known. The photo is dated "circa 1916 -17" and originally came from a lady in New Zealand.The Hotel was de-licensed in 1940. Mary Tait (nee Marion Sutherland) was the second wife of William Tait, who was the licensee of the Derby prior to his death 7 October 1862.His widow Mary the took over the license of the hotel.
Photo shows lifestyle of the 1850's.
Black and white photo depicting Davey's Hotel in Miners Rest with some of the locals.
Inscriptions & markings
Davey's Hotel / Derby Hotel.