In the earliest years of the Colac-Beech Forest-Crowes line all trains were hauled by NA-class 2-6-2 tank locomotives. From 1926, with the introduction of articulated Beyer Garrett locomotive G41, it hauled the majority of trains with the NAs providing supplementary service as required. Late in 1945 Garratt G41 was again out of action undergoing repairs at the depot in Colac so regular traffic again was handled by an NA for a short time. The line continued to survive on pulpwood long after other VR narrow gauge lines had ceased operation but finally, on 30 June 1962, a dilapidated G42 hauled the last train of goods wagons and vans to Beech Forest and return.
Focus on Victoria's Narrow Gauge: Beech Forest Line, Part One. John E. Thompson. Puffing Billy Preservation Society; Belgrave (Vic); Jan 2004. vi, 42 p.; illus; maps. Soft cover. ISBN 0 9579792 4 X