Redruth Gaol was constructed in 1856. It was the first South Australian gaol to be built outside Adelaide. The goal was built to house 30 prisoners (male and female). It closed in 1897 at which time the prisoners were transferred to Gladstone Gaol. The former Redruth Gaol was renovated and started a new life as a Girls' Reformatory in 1897 and closed in 1922.
This gaol was used in the film 'Breaker Morant'.
A number of colour photographs featuring a stone gaol.