Historical information

'The Grange ' was a 2 storey home built 1857 by Mr Charles Tuck, originally named 'Baydon Hill' , at 1011 Nepean Highway, Moorabbin ( South Brighton). Mr Charles Tuck was Veterinary Surgeon from Baydon Hill, Wiltshire, England, who migrated to Australia c1850. He married his cousin Miss Jan Chaudler in Melbourne in1853. He was at the Ballarat gold-fields at the time of the riots and then they settled in South Brighton ( later Moorabbin) and built a large Georgian Styled home called 'Baydon Hill'. The Tucks had a large family - 9 children. Charles enjoyed a prosperous Veterinary Practice as his advice was needed for stock purchases by the farmers / settlers. Charles died in 1893 and Jane left the property c 1903 and died at Blackburn in 1928. The House had 5 owners, the last being the Healey family c1920 and at some stage the name was changed to 'The Grange' and the gates shown were installed. The Healey Family were also prosperous in developing vegetables and flower seeds and seedlings. 'The Grange' was sold to Moorabbin City Council 1972 and then used by the City of Moorabbin Historical Society for meetings and storage of historical material. It was demolished amidst considerable controversy 1983 and the District Police Offices were built on the site. ( S.T.Mulvany, Grand-daughter of Charles Tuck 26/7/1974)


The Grange was a significant property 1853 -1983 in Moorabbin. It was built by Mr Charles Tuck 1857and in1900 extended from Point Nepean Road to South Road - 10acres. Mr Harold James Healey purchased the property in c1920 and leased a portion to a Chinese market gardener. Later with his sons he established a profitable Plant Nursery that they managed for 42years.. Keith Healey, a son, remodelled the house extensively mid 20thC .The Moorabbin City Council purchased it in 1972 for $255,000 and it was demolished amid controversy 1983. The District Police Offices are now on the site.

Physical description

3x black and white photographs of the property at 1011 Nepean Highway Moorabbin built by Mr Charles Tuck c1853 known as 'The Grange'. Originally it was named 'Baydon Hill' because he migrated from Baydon Hill, Wiltshire, England c1850. These photographs are c 1880, 1920 and 1950 showing the original and later additions made to the property by some of the 5 owners.

Inscriptions & markings

Written in pencil on back
a) " This Photo donated by Mr Neil Follett - at the time it came into his possession he had a photography studio in Cheltenham. Photographer unknown"; Folio 6 b) The Grange c 1950 Folio 6/10 c) 'Baydon Hill' ( alias "The Grange" ) / Donated by Mrs Elsa Jones, daughter of Leslie Stephen Tuck, youngest son of Charles Tuck Folio 6 /18