Historical information

In the early years of the 20th century adequate technical education was lacking and became a focus in the Victorian Parliament. After much debate and discussion among politicians and educationalists, the 1910 Education Act No 2301 was passed, making possible the establishment of new technical schools to address the dearth of skilled trades people.

In July 1912 Collingwood Technical School opened in the modified bluestone buildings at 35 Johnston St, originally built in 1853 as the Collingwood Town Hall and Court House.

Within three weeks, there were 57 boys enrolled - studying preliminary carpentry and pattern-making, plumbing, engineering, sheet iron work and bricklaying. They attended two hours a night on three evenings a week.

In 1913, the school opened its doors to juniors and took residence in new permanent buildings erected on the site. It was classified as a trades school by the State Education Department. Two years later courses in electrical wiring and electrical and mechanical engineering were introduced.

In 1988 Preston College of TAFE and Collingwood College of TAFE merged to become Northern Metropolitan Institute of TAFE (NMIT). (http://victoriancollections.net.au/organisations/northern-melbourne-institute-of-tafe)

Physical description

Brown soft covered booklet of 40 pages. The contents include information relating to the Collingwood Technical School on 1913, including: Council members, constitution, standing orders, aim of the school, scholarships, advice to parents, Railway Fares, tram fares, General Rules to Students, Syllabus, English, Geography, Civics, Mathematics, Elementary Science, Woodwork, |Sheetmetalwork, evening course, carpentry, plumbing, joinery, and a list of students for 1912 Evening courses.