From
Close

Honour Board - CHAIRMEN of BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT 1860-1871 and PRESIDENTS of SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK 1871-1950.

From the Collection of Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023 SUNSHINE LIBRARY, McCracken Street, Sunshine 3020 Deer Park and Sunshine Victoria

Description
Large brown stained wooden structure comprised of two board sections positioned side by side to make one display board. Contains in gold coloured lettering the names of people who served as CHAIRMEN of the BRAYBROOK ROAD DISTRICT and as PRESIDENTS of the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK during the years 1860 to 1950.
Size
230.5 cm (H) X 235 cm (W) X 8 cm (D)
Links
Object Registration
1768
Keywords
braybrook road district, shire of braybrook, chairmen, presidents, 28 may 1860, 23 january 1871, 1950, sunshine.
Historical information
By around circa 1850 Braybrook was already well established, and during the gold rush period also became a staging point for prospectors on their way to the diggings. Local government for the area began on 28th May 1860 when the BRAYBROOK ROAD BOARD DISTRICT was proclaimed, however this authority was soon superseded on 23rd January 1871 when the SHIRE OF BRAYBROOK came into existence. The Shire of Braybrook continued as the local government authority for the district until the CITY OF SUNSHINE was proclaimed in 1951.
This Honour Board was unveiled on Monday 18th March 1940 at 8:30 p.m., and was hung in the Council Chamber, at the Shire of Braybrook Hall, Sunshine.
When Made
Unveiled 15 March 1940
Significance
The Honour Board is a historical record of the people who served as heads of local government in the district from 1860 to 1950.
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM