Historical information

William Hutton & Sons were manufacturing silversmiths founded in 1800 in Birmingham with company transferring to Sheffield in 1832. William Hutton had established the firm and with the move to Sheffield, they also became platers having licensed the electroplating technique from the firm of Elkington's. This gave them much early success in the field of electroplating.
William's son William Carr Hutton continued the business after his father's death using the same business name until 1864 it was then changed to William Hutton & Son when William Carr's son Herbert Hutton joined him. When William Carr died in 1865, the firm name was again changed to William Hutton & Sons when Herbert's brothers (James & Robert) joined the company.
They opened a London showroom in Holborn in 1863 which they moved to Farringdon Road, in 1891 operating until 1918. Hutton's had developed a new nickel alloy that was good for plating and in the late 1800s becoming known as British Plate. They sent their machine-made silver flatware from Sheffield to be hallmarked in London. Hutton's went on to acquire Rupert Favell & Co in 1893 and also registered as a limited company as William Hutton & Sons Ltd in 1902. The Hutton's had also bought Creswick & Co and had started to use their crossed arrows trademark. Hutton's became renowned for the quality of their Arts & Crafts silverware items at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1930 Hutton's were taken over by James Dixon & Sons.


A significant item that was made around the time electroplating was being developed as a means of producing quality utilitarian items in quantity for domestic use that we're able to be purchased by working-class people.

Physical description

Cruet set of silver plated frame with upright handle protruding from tray base. Holds 5 containers of varying shape and size; 3 have metal lids. Inscription is on the base. Some containers have contents in them.

Inscriptions & markings

On base "WMH&S" and "01548" etc.