Historical information

This pew is one of a set of fifteen church pews originally used in St. Nicholas Seamen’s Church, 139 Nelson Place, Williamstown, Victoria, during religious services there. The Church was operated by the Mission to Seamen organisation.

The pews were donated to the St Nicholas Seamen’s Church by the Williamstown Lightkeepers’ Auxiliary, founded by Ethel Margaret Musther, M.B.E.

* for more detailed history please see our Registration Number 611, Set of Pews


The set of pews is significant historically for its origin in the St Nicholas Mission to Seamen's Church
in Williamstown, established in 1857 to cater for the physical, social, and spiritual needs of seafarers. It originated in Bristol, England when a Seamen's Mission was formed in 1837.

The set of pews id historically significant for their connection to the Ladies Lightkeepers’ Auxiliary, an organisation of women, formed to support seafarers.

The connection of these pews to the Mission to Seamen and to the Ladies Lightkeepers’ Auxiliary highlights the strong community awareness of the life of people at sea, their dangers and hardships, and their need for physical, financial, spiritual and moral support.

Physical description

Church pew, one of a set of fifteen varnished wooden church pews. The pews have a shelf fitted at the behind the backrest. Ten pews also have hinged kneeling stands attached to them underneath the seats.
This is one of a set of original items in our ‘St Nicholas Seamen's Church Williamstown Collection’.