Historical information

This photograph shows the Lower Light at Flagstaff Hill, Warrnambool, in 1895, part of the Lady Bay Lighthouse Complex. The photograph is part of the Western Victoria collection produced in 1891 by Brookes' Photographic Union in Victoria.
Brookes' Photographic Union was a collaboration of two brothers, Frederick Augustus Brookes and his brother Albert Edward Brookes. Frederick arrived in Victoria in the early 1880's. He and Albert formed the organisation to produce collections of photographs including the districts of Geelong, Gippsland and the Western Victoria.


This photograph was taken and published just after the construction of the Warrnambool Breakwater.
The image records a snapshot of the construction of the Warrnambool Breakwater, a construction that changed the history of the Port of Warrnambool, It is also a record of the Flagstaff Hill area and at that time.

Physical description

Photograph, sepia coloured rectangular shape, mounted between two sheets of cream card. Border of photograph is decorated with pen lines and design in corners. Subject is the Warrnambool Harbour, with a lighthouse on a hill in the foreground, a light coloured picket fence, the harbour with a moored vessel and a jetty. Produced by the Brookes' Photographic Union, and with the heading of Western Victoria. Inscriptions are on the reverse, on two stickers, a printed white label and a handwritten name.

Inscriptions & markings

Stickers: "F.PA 60/2-74" "138"
Hand written in black: "B. Fisher"