Historical information

This drill once belonged to Goodall and Sons, who were blacksmiths in Terang. The smith was called upon to do a variety of work. In the early 1900s he was often the nearest person to be able to perform an engineer’s services for many miles around. The Dawn Ball-bearing Post Drill no. 611 is described in McPherson’s Catalogue as a “drilling machine with adjustable automatic feed, with improved Dawn coupler and ball-bearing thrust’. The heavy design of the flywheel enables it to maintain momentum” and is “fitted with pulleys for belt drive if desired” The hand crank drives an automatic feed to work off a cam-follow system opposite a large wheel. Made by Dawn Manufacturing Co. Australia 1920-1950. DAWN MANUFACTURING CO. Dawn Manufacturing Co. was founded in Coburg, Melbourne, in 1917 by the four Blake brothers, who were all engineers. After World War I Dawn was supplying drills Australia wide and the company was growing at a healthy rate. During the depression they remained busy, with employees working 60-80 hour weeks. Dawn was contracted to supply vices and clamps to the Australian Defence Department and munitions factory during the World War II. In 1959 the company was taken over by G.N. Raymond Group, then in 1973 the Siddons Ramset Limited acquired Dawn. In December 1991, Dawn became a unit of the United States owned Stanley Works Pty. Ltd. In November 1998 Dawn became 100 per cent Australian owned. HENRY GOODALL & SONS Henry Goodall (1870-1936) was proprietor of garages as H. Goodall & Sons Pty. Ltd., at both Terang (McKinnon and High Streets) and Mortlake (Dunlop Street). His business was in operation in at least in 1916 and perhaps well before, considering the date of the tyre bender and its use for wagons with wooden wheels. It was still in operation in 1953, chasing up debtors in Mount Gambier Court. Amongst the employees of H. Goodall & Sons Pty. Ltd. was Ernie Entwistle, a blacksmith (a soldier who died in 1916 ) and Alfred Hodgetts, radio expert (killed in a fatal accident in 1943, when he was in his early 30s ). Henry Goodall was involved in the community as a Justice of Peace, a deputy coroner, President of the Mortlake Hospital, trustee of the Soldiers’ Memorial Hall, and as a prominent Freemason. He and his wife had two sons (Charles and John) and one daughter (Mrs. Chas. Newton, of Skipton).

Significance

The drill is locally significant as it was used by a local company in Terang and Mortlake in their blacksmith, wheelwright and garage business. It is an example of the tools of the blacksmiths’ trade in Victoria in the 1920s-1950s.

Physical description

Dawn Ball-bearing Post Drill no. 611, made by Dawn of Melbourne, model no 611. Hand operated drill press. Self-feeding blacksmiths’ drill-press. This drill once belonged to Harry Goodall & Sons, blacksmiths of Terang. Dated 1920s-1950s. Gear ratio 2:1 main drive, 6" diam, 3:1 reduction gear.

Inscriptions & markings

"Dawn", "Melbourne"