Historical information

The former Albion (West) Woollen and Worsted Mills is a functional structure which has been built in stages, possibly dating from the 1880s, with the earliest sections near to the Barwon River.The Worsted mill operated for about 50 years and at its peak employed around 500 people. In 1973 the mill merged with the British John Foster and Sons Company under some controversial stock and shareholding issues. The mill continued for a short period before closing at a time when much of the Australian textile industry was finding it difficult to compete with overseas operations. In the 30 plus years after the closure, the site was used for several ventures, including the Mill Vintage Markets and a vehicle trim manufacturing operation.

In 2011 the site was purchased by Little Creatures of Western Australia to become their main brewery for the eastern states of Australia. Now owned by the Lion Group, Little Creatures started their 60 million dollar transformation of the old mill in 2012. Finally, in 2013 these former walls of industry were soon rattling away to the sounds of a different type of industry, as the first bottles of beer made their way out of the Geelong Little Creatures Brewery.


The remaining building of the former Albion Woollen and Worsted Mills has historical significance as one of Geelong's major woollen mills. The venture has operated on the same site for more than a century. The Albion Woollen Mill was one of the four key sites along with Victoria, Barwon and Union Mills that was established in the late 1860s to mid-1870s. These mills were in constant operation on the west side of the Barwon Bridge over the last century and led to Geelong's fame as milling and scouring locality. The Albion Mill was probably the most successful survivor of the early private company operations. It was regarded as a model mill in the late 1880s and was, from all accounts, well-planned and organised with machinery on a par with the great mills of England. It produced high-quality tweeds. Together with the (now demolished) Union Mill it was regarded as the borough's principal industry over the 1870-1900 period and was one of Australia's most significant producers of tweed by 1900. These two mills were more successful, competitive and long-lived than the Barwon and Victoria Mills. The remaining building form is an important reminder of the private ventures of both the Albion and Union Mills and represents a key site of spinning, carding and finishing as well as scouring and dying that occurred in the lower section near to the river. The loss of the adjacent former Union Mill is unfortunate because the complex, together with the former Collins Union Mill office building, was an important reminder of the success of these industries and the reputation they earned for the Geelong region as a centre for quality textile products.

Physical description

Company seal embosser hand operated matte black & brass colour

Inscriptions & markings

Western District Worsted Mills emblem on front