Book - Queechy
From the Collection of Ballarat Clarendon College 1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria
- Bound in red half calf with marble edging, gilt lettering and decoration on spine. Six raised bands on spine with gold decoration; gold writing on second compartment with green calf; College crest embossed on front cover; colour illustrations, end papers marbled, slight foxing on pages, detached spine, 670 p.
- 18cm H x 13cm W
- amy-evelyn-bailey, ballarat-college, ed-bailey, miss.-[keeps?]-ladies'-college
- This book was awarded to Amy Evelyn Bailey for second prize in Geography in the fourth form. Amy entered Ballarat College in January of 1885 at the age of 12. Parent/Guardian named in Registry as Ed Bailey residing in [Mt. Rowan?]. It is also noted in the Register that Amy came from Miss. [Keeps?] Ladies' School.
- During 1877 - 1891 Ballarat College accepted enrolments from female students. The school holds the original register of this period and notes that Amy Bailey entered the College at the age of 12. Presbyterian educators placed great value on a classical education matched with diligence in study. Book prizes were highly regarded and academic success admired. In the school’s early years prizes were ordered direct from London and had the school crest embossed in gold on the front or back cover. Many of the prizes given in early years were returned to the school to equip the Weatherly Library when it opened in 1936.
- Book plate inside front cover: college crest, Geography/ Fourth Form/ Second prize/ Awarded to/ Amy E. Bailey./ Christmas,1886.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM