Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ballarat Clarendon College Ballarat, Victoria

Reverend William Henderson opened Ballarat College on Wednesday 6 July 1864 when two seven-year-old cousins presented themselves at his church, St Andrew's Presbyterian. On the following Monday morning they were joined by three other boys to become the first students of the school.

Elizabeth Kennedy, the wife of another Presbyterian minister, came to Ballarat to live and in 1876 she began a cottage school for her children and the daughters of family friends. This was the beginning of what became known as Mrs Kennedy's School for Girls, later to become Clarendon Presbyterian Ladies College.

In 1974 Ballarat College and Clarendon Presbyterian Ladies College formally joined together to become Ballarat & Clarendon College, now associated with the Uniting Church in Australia.

The school history has been documented in two publications by Phil Roberts on 2004 and 2014 respectively - Golden heritage: history of ballarat and Clarendon 1864 - 2004 and a companion volume Ballarat Clarendon College: One hundred and fifty years. These books are available for sale from the school.

Contact Information

location
1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria 3350 (map)
phone
+61 03 5330 8200

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment.

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria

View on Google Maps

The collection documents the history and development of the school for present and future generations. It comprises both school records and museum items.

Greg McLean 22 February 2017 7:18 PM

Hi, I have received my great grandfather's (Robert Cameron) medal (9ct gold) for wining the 2nd Ballarat College Old Collegian Cup in 1891. Could you tell me more about the race/cup? Kind Regards Greg McLean

Ballarat Clarendon Administrator 28 February 2017 12:37 PM

Hi Greg, thank you for your enquiry. Athletic Sports carnivals were held annually at Ballarat College, often at the same time as old collegians annual reunions and always with some races exclusively for 'old boys'. From 1884 College Cups were donated by the Old Collegians Association for the outstanding athlete amongst present boys and past boys. Handicap races were run over 120, 250 and 440 yards to obtain the results. In the first year Thomas Thompson won the old boys cup. Robert Cameron entered Ballarat College in 1885. We cannot confirm his year of leaving but going by his age (Birth: 13.10.1871) we expect he would have left before 1891 so that would put him in the old boys category. Our school archive holds examples of Old Collegians Cups from this era. They were extremely ornate as you will see from examples catalogued to Victorian Collections. However we do not hold personal medals relating to the cups themselves. If you were able to forward a photograph of the medal's inscriptions I would be most grateful.

Leave a comment

500 items

500 items

Book - The study of sociology

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Bound in dark green calf with College emblem embossed on front cover and six raised bands on spine. The second band gilt inscribed and the remaining bands with gilt decoration. Marble end papers and edges. Foxing on pages, front cover detached, 446 p.

Historical information

This book was awarded to Ewen Wanliss in 1892 for first prize for Mathematics & Classics in the Upper Sixth form. Ewen enrolled at Ballarat College in 1888 at the age of 15 along with his brothers David, Cecil, Newton, Sydney and Neville. Ewen's father was Hon. T. D. Wanliss and his previous school was Toorak College IV class. The Wanliss family grew up in Wanliss House Sturt St, which was bought by the school in 1910. The house remained on the property until 1996. "Ewen Wanliss was born on 24th September 1873 and died in 1966. He was educated at Ballarat College, enrolled in1888, and was Captain of the College 1st XI and 1st XVIII in 1892. He served as 327 Pte E Wanliss, 4th (Imperial) Contingent, and as a Lieutenant (20th August 1900) with the 4th Imperial Bushmen in the South African War." (In the footsteps of Pompey p. 14).

Significance

Presbyterian educators placed great value on a classical education matched with diligence in study. Book prizes were highly regarded and academic success admired. In the school’s early years prizes were ordered direct from London and had the school crest embossed in gold on the front or back cover. Many of the prizes given in early years were returned to the school to equip the Weatherly Library when it opened in 1936.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate inside front cover: Ballarat College emblem/ Mathematics & Classics/ Upper Sixth Form./ First Prize./ Awarded to/ E. Wanliss/ Christmas, 1892.

Book - History of the war in the penisular and in the South of France from the Year1807 to the Year 1814. Volume I.

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Maroon calf-bound book with gold plate work on spine and borders of cover. Ballarat College school crest and motto inscribed on front cover. Six compartments on spine decorated with gold patterns; title inscribed in second compartment. Volume number inscribed in third compartment Marbled leaf edges and end papers

Historical information

Book prize given to John Tanner (1887), Christmas 1885. First prize for French in the Upper Fifth form.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate: Ballarat College crest and motto / French / Upper fifth form / First prize / Awarded to / J Tanner / Christmas 1885

Book prize - The works of Alfred Lord Tennyson Poet Laureate

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Red calf-binding with fine gold border to cover; gold lettered title and school crest to front cover; and gold lettered title to spine. Book plate on inside of front cover.

Historical information

Rosina (Rose) Morey was a student at Ballarat Ladies College, girls' school of Ballarat College (1975 - 1892). Rosina Morey was born in 1871 and spent most of her life in Ballarat. Her father was Edward Morey, a mining and civic leader in Ballarat. The book was donated by Poss Morrow (Walker) having belonged to her great aunt Rose Morey. In 2008 Poss wrote: Rose loved sewing and my memories of her are that she was always dressed in black. She was the third daughter of Edward and Mary Ann Morey. Great aunt Rose spent many happy times with our family when we lived in East Malvern. My father Edward McDonald Walker was her nephew. She loved coming to the city by train to go shopping and join in the family celebrations. She never married but lived to a great age. She died in a nursing home in East Malvern 24 July 1960 and was buried in the Morey family grave in the Ballarat Old Cemetery. The prize, presented to Rose in 1889, remained in my father's library for many years and was given to me recently.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate on inside of front cover: School crest / Fancy Needlework / Senior Form / "Gross" prize / Awarded to / Rose Morey / Christmas 1889

Framed item

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Collection of papers, framed under glass; thin black frame with fine gold line on molding; cardboard backing and paper sealing tape; hanging wire across back.

Historical information

Framed set of documents, including letter from Ballarat College Principal, John Garbutt to George Howard, Esq. teaching master, Grammar School, Echuca 25 June 1878; memorandum confirming ongoing employment and raise of salary from Principal Garbutt to G Howard 17 December 1879; male and female student lists and results by subject covering Geography Form V, Arithmetic Form VI, Latin Form V, Mathematics Form III, English Form V, Mathematics Form VI, Mathematics Upper VI.

Book - Untitled

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Black leather bound book of 18 pages, including 2 illustrations pasted in place, 10 typewritten pages and 3 pages of signatures. The book is accompanied by a 4x6 landscape black and white photograph.

Historical information

This unique document was produced in honour of Dr William (Bill) Alexander Sloss, Patron of Sloss House, Clarendon Presbyterian Ladies' College, on his birthday 5 August 1962. It features a handwritten dedication in coloured ink, black and white photograph of Dr Sloss, Dr Sloss' own 10 page history of the school and 3 pages of signatures from the 1962 members of council, members of staff and school prefects. The book has been bound by local printing company Waller & Chester but all pages have been produced by hand. It is a significant record of the esteem and appreciation in which Dr Sloss was held by the school community. Dr Sloss served on the school council 1919-1966. His daughter-in-law, wife of Bill Sloss (Old Collegian 1921-1934) Janie also served 1956-1964 and again 1969-1973 and on the Ballarat Clarendon College council in 1974. Dr Sloss was instrumental in the purchase of Clarendon Ladies College by the local Presbyterian community in 1919 and the opening, by Governor General Stonehaven, and ongoing establishment of the Mair Street site in1925. He was instrumental in the appointment of seven Principals - Carson, Short, Shaw, McDonald, Mathieson, Kerr and McPherson. His contribution to education in Ballarat for nearly 50 years in inestimable. The book is accompanied by a black and white photograph labelled 'Clarendon College Sports', undated.

Significance

This unique book is a significant record of social significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover: embossed crest / Clarendon / Presbyterian / Ladies' College / 1962 Handwritten on flyleaf: $95 / very scarce / unique copy

Photograph - Ballarat College Football Premiers 1889

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Formal grouping of 24 students with teacher, sepia photograph, 2 copies; one with simple wooden frame and broken glass covering; one on oversize mount only

Historical information

Photograph shpws details of sports and formal student and staff attire; several of the group went on to serve their country in the Boer and Great Wars.

Inscriptions & Markings

Title on photograph: Ballarat College-Premiers, 1889 Names at base of photograph: A Young, H Levien, J Cameron, A Bregazzi, G Esplin, Mr Thompson, T Hood, J Hargreaves, B Martin, P Hotchin, A Greenfield, A Stephens, D McClelland, J Olney, T Cowan, D Smith (Capt), J Rintoule, H O'Farrell, F Anderson, G Holgate, H Hunt, W Smith, J Southern, R Irwin Printed at base of photograph: A FLEGELTAUB. PHOTOGRAPHER

Book

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Four books cloth bound; various sizes

Historical information

Books presented to the new Weatherly Library at Ballarat College in 1971 by Mrs Gladys Dalziel MacKenzie.The new Weatherly Library was opened in 1971 and its collection continued to be augmented by donation or bequest. Mrs Mackenzie Gladys Dalziel Weatherly was married to Eng-Cdr Harold Ponsonby Mackenzie, former Ballarat College school council member 1925-1946.. Her son, Alastair J Mackenzie was a member of the Ballarat College Council 1957-73 & Ballarat Clarendon College Council 1974-80. Alastair was significantly involved in the purchase of 1415 Sturt Street. This property was extensively renovated and opened as the Elsie Morison Creative Arts Centre in 1985.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate on flyleaf: Ballarat College Library / PRESENTED BY / G D MacKenzie / June 1971.....

Book - Gems of womanhood

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Green cloth cover with ornate gilt decorations on cover, back and spine; gilt edges; color illustrations, slight foxing on pages, 314 p.

Historical information

This book was awarded to Fanny Nicol in 1882 for special prize for bible. Fanny enrolled in Clarendon Ladies' College in 1882 along with her sisters Agnes Williamson Nicol and Katy Beatrice Nicol. In the original register the father's name is listed as James and he was a produce merchant who resided at 119 Lydiard Street, North Ballarat. This book was donated to the school library in 1978 by Fanny's niece.

Significance

Presbyterian educators placed great value on a classical education matched with diligence in study. Book prizes were highly regarded and academic success admired. In the school’s early years prizes were ordered direct from London and had the school crest embossed in gold on the front or back cover. Many of the prizes given in early years were returned to the school to equip the Weatherly Library when it opened in 1936.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate inside front cover: CLARENDON LADIES' COLLEGE,/ BALLARAT./ Special prize./ Bible/ Awarded to/ Fanny Nicol./ 19th December, 1882.

Trophy

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Medium silver cup with double handles and silver stand

Historical information

Donated in July 2001 by Mrs Margery Langsford, widow of Fred Raynor Langsford who attended Ballarat College 1916 - 1918

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on face of cup: BALLARAT COLLEGE / Head of Minerva / Presented to / F R LANGSFORD / Senior Championship / 4/5/1918

Program - Ballarat College Athletic Sports 62nd meeting

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Small booklet; heavy card with red printing cover;

Historical information

Athletic Sports were held annually and featured both current and old collegian contribution. The programs listed officials, school records, preliminary events and the day's program with name of competitors and space for recording place-getter's names. The program also listed the names of students in their house groupings.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on front cover: David L Karmouche Buninyong

Book - The poetical works of Alexander Pope

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

A leather bound book with Ballarat College crest and borders embossed in gold on front cover. Page edges have gold-leaf. There is a bookplate fixed to inside front cover. Binding has been re-inforced with tape inside front and back covers.

Historical information

This beautifully bound book was awarded to A. Tunbridge in 1884 for his prowess in French studies during the fifth form. At some stage the book has been donated to Mentone Girls High School and added to their library collection before being donted to Ballarat Clarendon College.

Inscriptions & Markings

Circular Ballarat College crest on front cover with 'E studiis - Claritudo venit around outer edge; Minerva Head in centre with 'Ballarat College' printed around it. Printed book plate inside the front cover 'BC crest / French / First prize / Fifth form / Awarded to / A. Tunbridge / Christas, 1884. Title page has been stamped 'Mentone Girls High School Library 2922' Handwritten on second page 'Donated by E. Payne'

Book - The splendid book of locomotives

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

School book prize awarded to J.D.Clark (1948py), accompanied by the Speech Day program for 14 December 1944 which details the presentation of this prize.

Historical information

This prize was awarded to John David Clark (1948py) by Ballarat College.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front cover embossed in gold with school insignia and motto Book plate on first page reads: 'College insignia / Ballarat College / Fifth A Form / Progress Prize / Awarded to / J. D. Clark / R E Thwaites / December 1944 Principal'

Framed photograph

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Faded, sepia toned photograph, with stained cream-coloured cardboard mount and wooden frame painted cream. The photograph was taken on 19 October 1877 and features the building then used by Ballarat College on the grounds of St Andrews Kirk, Sturt Street Ballarat. The foundation stone for this building was laid 12th September 1874. Grouped in front of the building are a line of 13 girls and 2 boys. Behind them stands a line of 29 adults (only 3 male). Two other men are in the background.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on backing paper (initial unclear): 'J. Schulze / Oct 19th 1877 / Ballarat College Surt St. / In posseion (sic) of Florence Hewett - nee Schultze / died 1935 / Presented by her daughter / Irene Hewett'

Book - The history of the Great European War . Vols I-II

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Red cloth bound books with gold and black lettering and illutsration on spine and cover

Historical information

Presented to the school by Mrs W Paterson in 1948. Possibly wife of old collegian W A Paterson (1925 peer year) wh served on the Ballarat College Council 1960-71.

Significance

Example of ongoing commmunity support of the school. The Weatherly Library was opened in 1936 and its collection significantly established by donation or bequest of old collegians and members of the college community and associates.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate on flyleaf: Literature / Crest / Ballarat College / Library / Presented by / Mrs W Paterson 1948...

Book - The school across the road

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Historical information

John Anning MacLeod John was born in Ballarat as the second generation of Ballarat MacLeod’s, with his grandfather arriving in Geelong on the Hornet in 1857 as an 11 year old child with his 60 year old father John and mother Mary aged 37 years and 5 brothers and one sister. He grew up on the corner of Drummond Street and Mair Streets, opposite what became St John of God hospital, at his parents house of Dunvegan. John entered Ballarat College as a junior student in 1923. He received 3rd in Form prizes in both 1924 and 1925. His sister Margaret, attended Clarendon Ladies College. The household employed a chauffeur, a cook, a gardener and a ladies maid to care for them. In the 1930’s his father lost his fortune in the collapse of the jute future’s market so the staff were dismissed and he left Ballarat to go to Geelong College as a boarder. He was an officer in the Geelong College cadet corps and joined the Army as a private and rose to the permanent rank of Major after meritorious performance in the intelligence area of operations. He served in North Africa, in Palestine, Egypt, Moratai, the Philippines, Java and New Guinea. He was awarded his Military MBE by King George VI for exceptional devotion to duty and for brilliant coordination work amongst the allied intelligence team. During the war he met Mary Monica Carrol Bateman, a lietenant in the 2/4th Army General Hospital at a dinner party in Brisbane. The couple had four children, Hamish John Torquil born in 1945, Rory Hugh Alexander born in 1947 and twins Ian Donald and Katriona Margaret born in 1948. After the Second World War he worked for Lumley’s Insurance Brokers in London for a couple of years to follow up his accountancy training and then returned to Ballarat due to his father’s failing health and took over the management of John MacLeod and Co, Wholesale grocers and Merchants in Lydiard Street, Ballarat. The business had been started by his great grandfather and they produced the famous Sirdar brand of products and a special tea blend called Afternoon Cup. There was a spice mill in nearby Market Street and there they roasted peanuts, coffee and ground spices for packaging and distribution to the small corner shops who were the mainstay of commercial grocery. In the 1950’s John MacLeod and Co merged with James McKay and Sons to form McKay MacLeod Pty Ltd., wholesale tobacco, wine and spirits and grocery merchants who also manufactured the Sunny South brand of sweet mustard pickles, brewed vinegar and tomato sauce. He introduced the semi-automated system for extensions and financial records on the Bradma plates that saved staff the problems of sorting out the calculations for sales tax, miscellaneous charges etc. that greatly sped up the transactions at the checkout points. A new warehouse and office complex was built in Mair Street east up near Humffray Street, with the manufacturing factory on the opposite side of the street. They had a shop in St Arnaud and one in Geelong which was the local wholesaler for supplying to the corner shops of the greater Geelong area. With the development of supermarkets the demise of the corner store began and so the sales profiles began to diminish. He unsuccessfully stood for Liberal Party pre-selection for the seat of Ballarat in 1948 and served on the Liberal state finance and executive team for many years before resigning over the issue of conscripts being sent to Vietnam. He was instrumental in leading a group of Ballarat academics in opposition to the Vietnam war and publicly resigned from the Liberal Party over their foreign policy. John MacLeod saw the writing on the wall of the business in the early 1970’s and suggested that the firm restructured with focusing on tobacco, wine and spirits. His partners did not agree and so he sold out and retired to Barwon Heads. After a few years of golfing and surfing he became frustrated and joined SCORE, the Service Corp of Retired Executives. In this role he worked for ten years in the Geelong area solving accounting problems for Geelong small businesses and so helped Beaumont’s bakery back onto its feet. He worked gentlemen’s hours of 10 am to 3 pm which allowed him to have time for a round of 9 holes on the golf course at the end of the day and to have a surf before breakfast. He fully retired at the age of 65 and had ten years of voluminous reading of local library books before dying of burns at the age of 75. His war record has been documented in other archives at the College. He was a member of the Naval and Military Club and of the Barwon Heads Golf Club. He had good crafting skills and built a series of steam driven boats for his four children that used to be sailed at home on Lake Wendouree, Lake Learmonth and on the sheltered waters of the Barwon River. The boats are now being restored to operational order to be sailed by his great grandson Grayson Girardi.

Book - If, & what? : twelve lectures on the foundations of christian theism

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Black calf binding with damaged spine; gold lettering on front cover; dark green endpapers; gilt page edges;

Historical information

Part of a collection obtained by K C Hofmaier 1963 by purchase of a library at gembrrok (Vic) which contained a number of books from the old Ballarat german language library with school text books and theological works formerly the property of the founder of Ballarat College Rev'd Wm Henderson. William Henderson was Minister of St Andrews Kirk at the time of writing. The very strong Presbyterian roots of Ballarat College were a legacy of this man.

Significance

Socially significant for school community because of its authorship - William Henderson founded ballarat College.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten inscription on front endpaper: by Wm Henderson / founder of Ballarat College Handwritten inscription on back of endpaper: Collected by K C Hofmaier 1963 by purchase of a library at gembrrok (Vic) which contained a number of books from the old Ballarat german language library with school text books and theological works formerly the property of the founder of Ballarat College Rev'd Wm Henderson.

Trophy

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Medium silver stand and bowl on melamine stand, silver plaque attached to stand

Historical information

Malcolm McKenzie entered the school in 1923 and again in 1929 and left in 1933. A highly competitive sportsman, this trophy was awarded to him as overall swimming champion in 1932. Malcolm also received the Open and Under 16 champion trophy in 1931 and the Under 16 Champion in 1930.

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on plaque: BALLARAT COLLEGE / OPEN SWIMMING / CHAMPION / M. K. MCcKENZIE / 1932

Shield

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Rosewood shield with ornate silver title plates and 15 silver inscribed plates;

Historical information

Shield presented in 1939 and awarded to winning house at the annual CPLC Inter-House Athletics competition; Awarded 1939 - 1950. A note in Touchstone December 1939 p.9 reads, 'House rivalry was greatly stimulated on Sports' Day by the gift of the Bevan John Shield. The shield is made of rosewood with silver plates attached, on which is to be inscribed the name of the winning house. Also, each year, an enamel band of the colour of the victorious house is to be placed round the silver plate. We are very grateful to Mr John for his generous and much appreciated gift. A second shield was established in 1951 (see VC000355)

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on large central plate: CLARENDON / PRESBYTERIAN / LADIES COLLEGE / INTER-HOUSE / ATHLETICS Inscribed on scroll plate at top of shield: THE BEVAN A JOHN SHIELD

Book - Lucy Shaw: Headmistress

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Hardback book with a coloured slip cover; xi, 113 p. : ports. ; 25 cm.

Historical information

Lucy Shaw was Headmistress of Clarendon P L C 1927-34

Book - The works of Lord Bacon, moral and historical

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Maroon card binding with black detail to front and back covers; spine missing; crest and motto embossed in centre of front cover; marbled page edging and end pages;

Historical information

Book prize awarded to John Tanner for excellence in English.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate inside front cover: Ballarat College crest / English / First prize / Fourth form / Awarded to / J Tanner / Christmas 1884

Badge

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Silver maltese cross hat badge with crest of The Kings Royal Rifle Corp on circle at centre of cross

Historical information

Epaulet or hat badge for The Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Donated with other medals belonging to John Garbutt. Connection unknown. John Garbutt was Principal of Ballarat College for thirty-three years - 1877-1909. He was educated at Geelong National Grammar School and in 1860 was the first dux of the college. Fist class Honourman Arts and Laws at Melbourne University 1866; Two years a master at Geelong College; seven years master and three years senior master at Scotch College, Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

Face: THE KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS

works of art

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

large framed works of art; hand coloured linocut

Historical information

Artist Vida Pearson of Ross Creek; given to school by the family of Old Collegian Andrew Craig Noonan. Andrew attended the school 1983 - 1989. Works titled 'Proteaceae' and Butterflies and Angels'.

Inscriptions & Markings

handwritten on reverse: In loving memory of / Andrew Craig Noonan (died 21/7/1992) / and in grateful and sincere thanks / for the love, care and support / given to us by the staff of / Ballarat and Clarendon College / Ron, Pam and Damien 20/2/1993

Book - The social and economic history of the Roman empire. Vols I - II

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Medium size mid-green cloth bound books with gold lettering on spine

Historical information

Presented to the school library by former staff member Dr Tony Disney.

Significance

Example of ongoing community support of the school

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plate inside front cover: Crest / Ballarat College / Library / Presented by / A R Disney / August 1966...

Hammer

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Wooden handle and metal pick hammer

Inscriptions & Markings

Plaque of handle: PRESENTED TO / Mrs R M Horner / MINERVA II / 14-4-73

Trophy

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Ornate, embellished, double-handle silver cup on silver stem and base.

Historical information

Trophy awarded to Walter Skelton Cameron (9/09/1899). Walter attended Ballarat College 1910-1916. Son of J B Cameron Lydiard St Nth., Previously studied at Macarthur St Upper V. Walter served on the BC Council 1925-35.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscribed on face of bowl: BALLARAT COLLEGE / SENIOR CHAMPION / 1916 / won by / W S CAMERON Inscribed on rear of bowl: lap of the lake / Combined / Aggregate /

Student work

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Soft covered No 122 exercise book with sewn binding and fabric spine; patterned covers and faint-lined pages; marked wear and soiling; handwritten inscription on front cover

Historical information

This worn and solied exercise book was used by Andrew Crawford (BC 1952) to record handwritten notes and diagrams from his Leaving level wool classing classes at Ballarat College

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten inscription on front cover; Andrew Croawford / Leaving wool-classing / Ballarat College

Book - World War II Honour Roll Ballarat College

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Leather covered blank book with gilt writing and border on front cover, plum-coloured page marker ribbon. Pages list handprinted names of WW2 returned soldiers who were past students of Ballarat College

Historical information

According to the school magazine 'The Minervan December 1954' the book was compiled to honour former students who were members of the forces in World War II. See file attached. The book was displayed in the ballarat College reception area until 2014. In 2013 following research by James Affleck the information contained within the book was updated and a formal honour board created and displayed in Memorial Hall together with the WW2 Pro Patria Roll of Honour.

Significance

Significant record of WW2 returned service old collegians

Book - The history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire: 8 Vols

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Set of eight volumes leather bound with gold patterning on spine and cover and marbled endpapers.

Historical information

Books donated to the Ballarat College Weatherly Library by W L Meinhardt in 1942. William (Bill) Meinhardt attended Ballarat College 1935 - 1945.

Significance

Example of ongoing old collegian support of school. The Weatherly Library was opened in 1936 and its collection significantly established by donation or bequest of old collegians.

Inscriptions & Markings

Book plates on flyleaf: Ballarat College crest / Ballarat College Library / PRESENTED BY / W L Meinhardt 1942.... Book plates inside front cover: St Aidan's Clergy Trainign House Ballarat

Medal - Christmas Examination medal 1868

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Silver-plated round medal with Minerva head and words on front side, inscription engraved around edge and motif and words on reverse. ; medal is encased in brown leather covered, wooden box.

Historical information

The medal was presented to James Boyd, first Dux of Ballarat College in 1868 for his excellence in the Christmas Examinations. James passed his matriculation exams in the same year at 14 years of age. Known at school as Boyd 'Major', James went on to practise as a solicitor at Port Fairy. James attended many school functions throughout his life. Old Collegians re-presented this medal to James during the school's 50th anniversary celebration. The medal was re-presented in a silver plated box inscribed with the school crest and motto and the words 'Re-presented to / JAMES BOYD / December 1918 / on the anniversary of his Duxship of / BALLARAT COLLEGE / from Old Collegians. The re-boxed medal was presented to James Boyd at Speech Night 1918. A recod of this event states, 'At the conclusion of the prize list for the year Principal Mr A S M Polson announced - 'Dux of the College 1868 - James Boyd'. When My Boyd arose from where he had been sitting amongst the boys, he met with a tremendous ovation. he was cheered again and again, the College boys sang their Jubilee song with the refrain, 'Ah, me! Ah, me! merrily we sang with glee / Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years ago, Oh!'

Significance

Significant, unique record of the school committment to academic excellence.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: Minerva head in centre / INGENIO / VIRTUTE / LABORE Reverse: Standing lion with axe / MUNIFICENTIA / HENRICI / CUTHBERT Around edge of medal: JAMES BOYD / BALLARAT COLLEGE / CHRISTMAS EXAMINATION MEDAL 1868

Trophy

Ballarat Clarendon College, Ballarat

Heavy wooden stand with gold plates to front and back; thick glass top with school crest, bars of music and decorative elements etched on front;

Historical information

Joy MacDuff was a greatly loved teacher at the Junior School in the 1970s. She resigned to return to live in Scotland. This prize was established in her honour and awarded to the music student demonstrating enthusiasm, endeavour and enjoyment. The prize was awarded until 2010.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front plate: The Joy Macduff Encouragement Award / for Enthusiasm Endeavour & Enjoyment in Music Studies verso plate: 2002 KATHRYN DAY / 2003 KATHRYN DAY / 2004 CATHERINE CLARKE / 2005 CATHY JAMES / 2006 TOM PETTIT / 2007 FINIAN KELLY BRYAN COLLING / 2008 BRYAN COLLING / 2009 FRANCES JACKSON / 2010 MACEO WOOD