Wife of the Rev T D Cairns, Minister of St Andrews Kirk, Mrs Mary Cairns served on the Council of Clarendon Presbyterian Ladies College 1919 - 1949. Her generous guarantee of loans from the Ballarat Banking Company, together with other donations, enabled the Presbytery of Ballarat to purchase Clarendon Ladies College from Mr Kennedy in 1919 for 1500 pounds. Mrs Cairns was an inaugural member of the new Clarendon Presbyterian Ladies College Council, established 1919 and remained on the Council for 30 years. This chair was a personal gift to Mrs Cairns by the PWMU to honour of her long and devoted service to that organisation. Mrs Cairns donated the chair back to St Andrews Kirk where it remained in use until the sale of the property in 2019. Congregation member, Max Harris, kindly arranged the donation of the chair to the school because of Mrs Cairn's long association with Clarendon PLC.
Solid wood chancel chair with discreet carving; plaque on front side of back support
Inscriptions & markings
Plaque: This chair was presented by the / Members of the St Andrews P W M U / on the occasion of the retirement of / Mrs T R Cairns / from the Presidency of the Branch / after holding that office for more than fifty years / as an acknowledgement of her devoted service / as President / & of their deep personal regard.