Chairs - Chancel chairs
From the Collection of Ballarat Clarendon College 1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria
- Matching set of three ornately carved, English Oak, chancel and clergy chairs; minister's chair with arms; elder chairs without arms.
- rev william henderson, st andrews kirk
- These chairs originate from St Andrews Kirk, Ballarat, c1870s. The Rev William Henderson, Presbyterian Minister of Ballarat (1857 - 1886), founded Ballarat College in 1864. The chairs were is use in St Andrews Kirk during his tenure. At this time Ballarat College was situated in the grounds of St Andrews Kirk and remained there until 1912. In 1995 a plaque to this effect was erected in the grounds of St Andrews Kirk, and unveiled by Old Collegian and school Council member, Kenneth D Baird.
- Plaques at front of chair seats: Original St Andrews Kirk / Minister's Chairs c1870s / Gift Clark and Margaret Chester
- 13 May 2020 at 10:29AM