Photograph of Red Letter Box
From the Collection of Friends of Kurth Kiln Kurth Kiln Regional Park Worri Yallock Victoria
- Black and White Picture of the original Beenak Post Office Letter Box, used for collecting mail during the Beenak Sawmilling operations.
The Friends of Kurth Kiln have errected a Commemorative Plaque on site next to the huge gum tree that still carries the scar where the the mail box had been mounted.
- Size of Photograph Height 10cm, Width 15cm
- beenak, post office
- Although the Beenak Post Office officially closed on 31 August 1951, the Mail Box continued to be used until 1976.
- Photograph taken ca 1976
- The history of Beenak (the town that never was) is part of the Yarra Valley Ranges, and this picture tells the story of the historic Mailbox
- A full scale replica of the box has been fitted to the shed at Kurth Kiln, made and painted by Henk Bouck under the supervision of ex PMG officer John Waghorn
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM