From
Close

Pederic Gas Producer

From the Collection of Friends of Kurth Kiln Worri Yallock Victoria

Description
A Gas Producer Unit that converted charcoal into a gas suitable for the combustion engine. Used on motor vehicles during WWII petrol rationing restrictions. It consists of a hopper to hold the charcoal and a firebox to generate the gas
Size
Height 1.2m Width 500mm diameter round.
Attached Files
Object Registration
KK1301
Keywords
gas producer, bagshot, wilma
Historical information
The Unit was picked up from a paddock on a farm in Bagshot, near Bendigo. It was donated to the Friends of Kurth Kiln Heritage Collection by the Family of Cyril H Peatling on 23 December 2006.
When Made
~1939
Made By
Pederick Company, distributed by S A Cheney Pty Ltd (It is claimed to be simpler and more efficient than its competitors)
Significance
Gas Producer Units are of significance to Kurth Kiln because they demonstrate the enduse of the charcoal that was created at Kurth Kiln. Considerable documentation has been made available to us on its history, including a picture of the truck is was mounted on.
Inscriptions & Markings
Nameplate missing
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM