The Williamstown Council, which was formed in 1856, made an application to the Victorian Government for the Weights and Measures.
Williamstown Council was the first council in Victoria to have/use these standard measures.
Used by Council Inspector of Weights and measures to all shops, businesses, hawkers and delivery vehicles to ensure that all liquid measures and weights were correct. They were used until decimal currency came in 1966.
Solid brass cylindrical measure with glass cap, which is part of the measurement system. Liquid must fill the container and penetrate the glass, lid via a central hole,to fill the well on the surface of same glass lid. Used by Council Inspector of weights and measures.
Inscriptions & markings
"Imperial Standard Half Gill" / Victoria / Dates of verification from 21/10/1864-17/8/1950