Historical information

Wangaratta Toll Gates were erected after the punt was sunk and the new bridge over the Ovens river was opened in 1855; a charge was made for people, animals, carts, cars and buses and trucks later on.
A gatehouse keeper lived in a residence near the gates to charge users when they crossed.
The gates were refurbished by the students at the local GOTAFE college and are being rehoused as a feature of the river beautification works along the Ovens River.


The Toll Gates were on the first (and only bridge at the time) that crossed near the junction of the Ovens & King rivers at Wangaratta in the mid 1800's. They are a vital part of the city's heritage.

Physical description

Two white timber gates, hung on white timber posts by metal hinges.