Book - Heroes of Britain in peace and war
From the Collection of Ballarat Clarendon College 1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria
- Bound in red cloth with black, green and gilt decoration on front cover and spine. Gilt edges on pages, black and white illustrations throughout. In poor condition with spine and several pages detached. Foxing on pages, 328 p.
- 28 cm H x 20 cm W
- may-adelaide-anstis, book-prize, 1894, clarendon-ladies'-college, william.
- This book was awarded to May Adelaide Anstis in 1894 for first prize in Health. May entered Clarendon Ladies' College in 1891. On the original register father's name is listed as William and the residence as Neil St, Ballarat.
- Prior to the book prize received in December of 1894.
- Cassell and Company Ltd (Maker), Edwin Hodder (Maker)
- Presbyterian educators placed great value on a classical education matched with diligence in study. Book prizes were highly regarded and academic success admired. In the school’s early years prizes were ordered direct from London and had the school crest embossed in gold on the front or back cover. Many of the prizes given in early years were returned to the school to equip the Weatherly Library when it opened in 1936.
- Book plate inside front cover: Clarendon Ladies' College,/ BALLARAT./ First PRIZE./ Health-Class II./ AWARDED TO/ May Adelaide Anstis/ R. Kennedy,/ PRINCIPAL./ December, 1894. "Clarendon Presbyterian ladies' college" stamped on title page. Book plate on fly leaf: Clarendon Presyterian/ Ladies' College/ Ballarat/ college crest/ Presented by:/ Miss Kimberly/ Date: 30/11/61
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM