This is an artist's impression in reproduction of the Mechanics Institute building as it was in the 1880's. It has since changed quite significantly, especially what can be seen of the surrounds. The insert picture is an impression of the Industrial Pavilion which, as is stated, was used between 1856-1864 as temporary premises for the Institute.
The print was first published in 'The Australian Sketcher' under the title "Sandhurst Mechanics Institute and free library: the new and old."
[Go to the State Library of Victoria and the following link for more details.]
This is a significant print in an historical context, portraying the Bendigo School of Mines and Industries as it was in the 1880's, as well as the Industrial Pavilion. It indicates the significance of it to the community that an artist's impression was sought. Significance assessed in-house.
A3 print on heavy paper. A reproduction of an artist's impression of the Mechanics Institute Building in the 1880's. The picture is of the building with an insert impression of the Industrial Pavilion used as temporary premises for the Institute from 1856-1864. It is a black and white print of the front of the building with rough depictions of people, horses, a carriage and trees in front of it.
Inscriptions & markings
"A reproduction of an artist's impression of the Mechanics Institute Building in the 1880's. / Insert. An impression of the Industrial Pavilion used as temporary premises for the Institute from 1856-1864"