Historical information

The current Shire hall was built 1908 to replace the original shire hall which was demolished due to crumbling plaster in the brickwork. This mallet was used in the opening ceremony of the new shire hall to ceremonially lay the foundation stone at the commencement of the construction of the new hall.


This item commemorates the opening of one of Winchelsea's most attractive heritage buildings.The old Shire office now known locally as the "tea trooms" was the political and administrational centre of the Winchelsea Shire before the amalgamation and formation of the Surf Coast Shire.

Physical description

wooden mallet with gothic style silver/pewter work. inscription on base of mallet.

Inscriptions & markings

Presented to/ Cr. J. Mathison J.P./ President. Shire of Winchelsea./ On the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of the Shire Hall 22. 1.08