Historical information

St Mary's Clarendon was dedicated on 09 November 1871. In 2014 it is part of St Alipius Parish, Ballarat East.

"OPENING OF THE NEW CHURCH AT CLARENDON. On Thursday, November 9th, his Lordship the Bishop, accompanied by the various clergymen who assisted at the Mission, left Ballarat early in the morning, and proceeded through Buninyong to open the new church recently erected by the untiring exertions and liberality of the Catholics of Clarendon, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin under the title of 'Auxilium Christianorum.' The church, which is composed of stone, with Lal Lal white brick facings, is 43 feet long by 20 feet wide, including a nice chancel, and has cost up to the present about £500. As the Bishop was approaching the locality, a large number of horsemen met and escorted, him to the church, arriving at 11 o'clock. Here also were a large number of children, 192, prepared for Confirmation, who were similarly attired as candidates in Ballarat. A procession, headed by the cross bearer and acolytes, was formed of the children and moved round the church, followed by the clergymen and the Bishop, who sprinkled the edifice with holy water. The building having been blessed and consecrated, High Mass, coram episcopo, was celebrated by the Very Rev. Dean Moore, the Rev. T. O'Donnell acting as deacon, Rev. M. J. Shanahan, as sub-deacon, and Rev. J. D. O' Sullivan, as master of ceremonies. After the Communion the Rev. J. D. O'Sullivan preached an impressive sermon on devotion to the Blessed Virgin. The collection amounted to about £40.9." (freeman's Journal, 25 November 1871)

Physical description

Six colour photographs of exterior and interior views of St Mary's Clarendon.