On the 1st March, 1959, the first special train was organized by the Australian Railways Historical Society in conjunction with the Kanyana Festival Committee of Colac, Victoria. It proved so popular that additional trains were later organized. Temporarily in storage at Newport railway yards eight NBH excursion carriages were transferred to Colac which ran on the special trains until early-1962.
A A.R.H.S. "Kanyana" special excursion locomotive G41, an NC guard's van and NBH excursion carriages at halts at Gellibrand while the fireman attends to the engine requirements (or 'ER' in railways' parlance). The passengers are milling outside the excursion carriages while two are talking to the driver. Houses are in the background. B/W.