Book - Nelson's new drawing course
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- Dark olive green hardcover book with black scrolling and coat of arms at bottom of cover. Text in black. It covers such subjects as freehand and freearm drawing, mechanical drawing clay modelling colour work and paper cutting. It contains diagrams as well as instructions.
- 28.5cm x 22cm x1.6cm
- warrnambool, nelson’s drawing course, teacher’s handbook, mary norman, warrnambool artists.
- Nelson’s New Drawing Course was in use around the early part of the 20th century. The owner of this particular copy Mary Norman, was born in Ararat in July 1883. She produced her first public work in 1900 and came to Warrnambool in 1901 and worked with S. Pearce Fuller. She taught at Warrnambool Ladies’ High School at Upton in Canterbury Road and also took art classes at Fullers Art School. She left Warrnambool in 1906, going first to Echuca before returning to Ararat where she set up her studio and held her first public exhibition in 1908. She married Jesse Bail in 1922 and had one child Jessica in 1923. She died in 1962 in Ararat, aged 79.
- T Nelson and Sons London and Edinburgh (Printer)
- Mary Norman worked in Warrnambool, and has left a significant amount of work of scenes from around the district. The Warrnambool and District Historical Society has five in its collection, Gaul’s Cave, Mermaid Cave, Seascape, Wreck of “La Bella”, Clifton Banks, Hopkins River.
- Handwritten in black ink inside front cover, “Mary Norman, Ch of Eng DHS Echuca May 1908. Black ink stamp, 1909 Mary Norman Studio Ingor St Ararat. Thomas Nelson and Sons London Edinburgh and New York 1905.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM