A King James version of the Bible presented to the Allansford Congregation in 1881 by J H Atkinson who was a chemist from 1848 to 1876 on the corner of Sackville and Bank Streets Port Fairy . In January 1878 he opened a pharmacy in partnership with Warrell in the Apothecaries Hall in Timor Street. Rev. Swinburn was an assistant at St Paul’s Church in 1880.
St Paul’s Church, Allansford opened in 1882 and this donation would have been one of the earliest donations to the congregation.
Olive green/ brown leather cover with imprinted rectangular pattern on front and back covers. Spine has Holy Bible in gold lettering. It has dark blue ribbon page marker and gold on edges of pages.
Inscriptions & markings
Presented to the Church of England Allansford by J.H Atkinson, Warrnambool, September 1881. Also letter from Mr Atkinson to Rev. Swinburn.