Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Calaid Hearing aid

From the Collection of Waverley RSL Sub Branch 161 Coleman Parade Glen Waverley Victoria

Description
Steel square case with a white plastic thumb wheel with volume marks on the side and two holes for the insertion of the earpiece plug, front contains a small (10mm x 5mm) microphone covered by a wire grill.There is a small retaining clip on each side to clip the unit into a shirt pocket
Size
60 mm x 50 mm
Links
Object Registration
d/0286
Keywords
calaid, hearing aid, australian acoustic laboratories, roussac, gallipoli, repatriation department, cal
Historical information
Made by Commonwealth of Australia (Commonwealth Acoustic laboratories) to address the problem of providing hearing aids to ex-service men with impaired hearing due to war related events. They were issued by the then Repatriation Department a cheaper alternative to imported more expensive but lower quality units.
The were also used for the large number of children who had impaired hearing due to the Rubella epidemic in Australia during WWII.
http://www.acoustics.asn.au/journal/2000/2000_28_3_Upfold_Piesse.pdf
When Made
¬1955
Significance
Issued to Henry Claude Roussac a veteran of both WWI and WWII
Inscriptions & Markings
C of A CALAID D11849
Last updated
24 Jun 2018 at 12:49PM