Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty
Two photographs, both hand painted to show colours, and both of Mount Beauty c 1947/48 not long after commencement of construction of homes and facilities for workers.
Construction of the town of Mount Beauty commenced in 1946 and continued until 1952. It was built to provide family accommodation for workers engaged in the construction of the hydro electric power scheme. As well as housing, there was an administration building, staff hostel, merchandising centre, workmen's camps, base stores and workshops and the Mount Beauty Terminal Station. The first house was occupied in November, 1946 by the then manager of the trading store, with a frontage onto Hollonds Street. The total number of houses erected was 488, 162 custom built and 326 prefabricated. The main workmen's camp can be seen just left of the centre of the photograph and accommodated 144 men at the time of the photograph. By 1950 it could accommodate 1200men.
Photo No. 1 is taken in 1947/early 1948 as there is no evidence of the staff hostel under construction. This hostel was commenced in August/September 1948 and is clearly shown in photograph No. 2, dating this photo as 1948 as it is before the completion of the bypass road connecting to the main (high plains) road. This road was constructed in 1939 and in 1948 followed the route of Tawonga Crescent. This remained in use until the bypass construction was completed in early 1949 and does not appear to be finished in this photograph..
Both photographs are taken from the power line easement adjacent to the Bright road.
Significant historical pictorial record of the development of a town from grazing land. The type of terrain that had to be surveyed and then to construct roads and other infrastructure, with very little machinery, is also of prime significance in the development of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme.
Inscriptions & Markings
Photo No.1 - on back of photo, left upper corner, faintly in pencil, SPIKE, underneath this is written T Pay,.
Photo No. 2 - on back of photo, left upper corner, faintly in pencil, J