Kiewa Valley Historical Society, Mt Beauty
1. Black and white photograph of Mount Beauty Camp taken in September 1950
2. Black and white photograph of Bogong Village Camp
Mt Beauty Camp- The new State Electricity Commission construction camp at the head of the Kiewa Valley was for workmen on the second power station in the project expected to be the most modern and best equipped in Australia… In contrast to the early Kiewa days of horses and canvas tents, the new camp, with its modern amenities, compared favourably with any country town. Administration of the Kiewa Scheme was moved from Tawonga to Mount Beauty in 1946. The first house in Mount Beauty, in Hollonds Street, was occupied by the co-op store manager from November 1946. The new Mess Hall at Mt Beauty was opened with much ceremony in early November 1946. The houses up to Nelse street were erected from 1946 onward and then the township was extended beyond Nelse Street in 1950. The workmen's camp was enlarged in 1950 to the extent of providing accommodation for a total of 1,200.
Bogong Camp - In 1940 Field Headquarters for the Kiewa Scheme were established at Bogong with office, workshop facilities and accommodation for workmen, staff and some families constructed. (There had been a 'tent camp' on this site in 1939 but was destroyed by bushfires) Construction of accommodation continued until 1947. A total of 40 houses plus a hostel for single staff, post office, police station, medical centre and primary school all with water and sewerage and electricity supply. The staff hostel was known as Kiewa House and is now occupied by the Education Department. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident Engineer in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa area. He held this position from 1939 to November 1946 when he was transferred to Head Office.
Both Bogong Village and Mt Beauty were developed to accommodate workmen on the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme but have since become centres for tourism and a range of outdoor activities.
Inscriptions & Markings
1. Written on the back in grey lead - Sept 1950. Mt Beauty Camp. HT Cooper own taking
2. Stamped on back of photograph - Copyright. Not for reproduction. Herald Sun feature Service. Melbourne Australia