The Ballarat School of Mines opened to students in 1870, making it the first School of Mines in Australia.
Ballarat School of Mines Council President, Bill Gribble, studied Art at Ballarat School of Mines Technical Art School. In 1956 he was working with Villiers Engineering, then Bendex Mintex in 1966. He retired from there in 1988 as Chairman and Managing Director. In 1989 Bill Gribble was appointed to the Ballarat School of Mines Council. He served as President from 1992 until his retirement in 1996. In that year the Ballarat Technical Art School building was named the W.J. Gribble building.
Two colour photographs of the cutting the Ballarat School of Mines 125th Anniversary Cake. Principal Ron Wild is in the centre, with Council President Bill Gribble on the right. The photo was taken in the Amenities building at the Ballarat School of Mines.