Historical information

The Uebergang family came from Silesia to Australia in 1848 and were early settlers in the Allansford area. The sons and other descendants also purchased farms in the area.
The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992 after which the property was sold. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community.
The collection of items from their property was put into store for a number of years before being given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The family often re-used, recycled and repaired items and examples can be seen in the museum.
This petrol pump is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum.
As with many rural families the Uebergangs had bulk fuel supplies on-farm. The bowser was used to refuel farm machinery.
Mobil's Super Plume petrol was one of the many brands of petrol available from the late 1920s. No electricity was required to work this bowser as it was gravity fed. The amount of petrol was selected by the position of the front lever. Petrol was then pumped into the bowl by the handle on the side of the bowser and gravity=fed to the vehicle.


This petrol bowser is an example of a 1920s petrol bowser.