Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Cheese World Museum Allansford, Victoria

The Cheese World Museum forms part of the Cheese World Tourist complex on the Great Ocean Road, 45 minutes' from the 12 Apostles and 15 minutes' from the coastal city of Warrnambool. Adjacent to the Cheese World complex, the Museum is full of mementos that shine a spotlight on the farming industry with exhibits dating back to the early days of Australia's dairy industry. It features an amazing array of cheese and butter making implements and relics of everyday farm-life are on show.

Contact Information

location
5330 Great Ocean Road Allansford Victoria (map)
phone
+61 03 5565 3127
Contact

Opening Hours

9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm Saturday 10.00am - 4.00pm Sunday

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

5330 Great Ocean Road Allansford Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory was first established on this site in 1888 and has continued to grow to become a major contributor to the local economy. The Museum shows the history of the company and the growth of the local dairy industry from the early 1900s to today. In addition to the dairy history displays the museum also houses a motor museum, including a wide range of engines and motoring accessories donated and maintained by the Warrnambool and District Historical Vehicle Club.

Significance

The collections demonstrate historical aspects of Victoria's dairy production and manufacturing industry. The collections also have social significance because they connect local people and families with the district's history.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

145 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (145) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

145 items

Plate

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Large blue and white porcelain plate with a floral border and finished with a fine blue line around the rim. An inscription sits in the centre of the plate. The base has three fine lines around the rim and two holes on the rim to hang the plate.

Historical information

The plate was presented to WCB on the occasion of the official opening of the joint project Great Ocean Ingredients.

Inscriptions & Markings

Congratulations on the official opening of Great Ocean Ingredients Friesland Campina Dorno 27th May 2009

Photograph - The first mechanical milking machine public demonstration in Allansford district

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Photo on badly damaged brown mount board. Image depicts LKG milking machine demonstration. Dignitories, farmers and children present. Two men are inside the shed with two cows.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This photograph is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No. Photograph tells the story of a special celebration marking the occssion of the demonstration of the first mechanical milking machine on the Ernst Uebergang property Briarwood at Cudgee Victoria. Ernst Uebergang is inside the shed. Reported in Warrnambool Standard 5 June 1905.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photo 'LKG Milking Machine Lawrence Kennedy 1902/ Mr Ernst Uebergang inside shed.'

DVD - Heywood Cheese; an oral history on film

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Full colour DVD cover has photograph of Heywood Cheese factory and photographs of girls with calves, milk cans on a truck and workers in the cheese room, superimposed on a photograph of dairy cows grazing in a paddock. The DVD has the photograph of the cows grazing in the paddock.

Historical information

For many years the Heywood Cheese Factory was an important part of life for Heywood and district farming and a vital place of employment for up to 40 men and 10 women. The factory opened in 1939 as a subsidiary of the Portland Butter Factory before becoming a world renowned cheese making enterprise. It was felt important to document its history from the surviving factory workers, including dairy suppliers and milk truck drivers. We hear their stories of the long hours and hard work without penalty rates, travelling unsealed roads and mixed with their humour of the bygone days is an important acknowledgement of that era. [blurb on back cover]

Significance

This oral history provides significant material relating to the dairy industry in south west Victoria during the mid 20th century. The interviews give first-hand recollections of the interviewees involvement in the industry from a point of view of factory workers, milk pick-up drivers and farmers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Heywood Cheese/An oral history on film (front) For many years Heywood Cheese Factory was ... [see historical information] Edited by Garry Kerr for the Heywood Pioneer Wagon Shed/ Museum History Group who wish to gratefully acknowledge the/ support of the Victorian Government and Public Records Office/ Victoria for making this project possible. Duration: 70 minutes

Book - Under Bayard's Banner

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Green cloth hardbound book with gold print title 'Under Bayards Banner: a Story of the Days of Chivalry' and a in black print picture of two knights. On the spine the title is in gold print, the author's name Henry Frith, in black and a picture of a couple. On the back cover there is a black spray of leaves. The book includes eight illustrations by E Blair Leighton. There is an ornate book plate on the fly leaf which has a border of pink flowers on three sides.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This bookis part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.K51 This book was school prize donated to Percy Uebergang in 1899 whilst a pupil at Cudgee State School.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to Percy Uebergang/ Class IV/ SS No.105 Cudgee/ 23-6-99

Photograph - Percy Uebergang and Myrtle Wright wedding party

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Black & white photograph of the wedding party of Percy Uebergang and Myrtle Wright and their attendants. The bride is wearing a calf length suit trimmed with a lace collar and shoes with lattice weave uppers. She has a horseshoe on her left arm and a small handbag in her right hand. The bridesmaid is wearing calf length long sleeved dress featuring a shawl collar and a sash at the waistline. She is carrying a handbag. The men are wearing 3 piece suits and lace-up boots, shirts with winged collars and ties.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This photograph is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Percy Uebergang and Myrtle Wright were married on 3 September 1924 at Koroit. The attendants were Miss Ida Wright and Carl Uebergang. Newspaper reports of the wedding and welcome home reception are held in the collection. Myrtle's cousin, Florence Trigg, recalls that the wedding was held at 6am at Koroit in order to catch the train to Melbourne at 7am. This photograph was taken following their return. Percy and Myrtle are the parents of Ray and Joyce Uebergang.

DVD - A Look at Our History

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Gold DVD in plastic case with Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory logo and photograph of man

Inscriptions & Markings

Les O'Callaghan/-interview 2005 WCBF

Photograph - Ray and Joyce Uebergang c1926

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Black and white photograph of twins Ray and Joyce Uebergang sitting in china bowls on a verandah c.1926. A bar of Rexona soap is in the foreground. The bowls are housed in the Cheese World Museum [No.A0 and A0]. A second copy is stuck on the back of a Tooram Park homestead photograph [No.P0128]

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This photograph is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum.

DVD - On our selection: the women's story

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Full colour DVD cover featuring image of old hip-roof weatherboard house with front verandah and skillion roof to rear with stone chimney attached to outside. Corrugated iron roof is rusty. To the left is an outbuilding. Picket and wire fencing is in the foreground, background has large cypress tree to left and gum to right. At the bottom is a series of three black and white images showing (L-R) three women in working clothes and a woman holding a baby; woman chopping wood; woman milking cow with young boy standing beside her. The back cover is yellow with images of the seven women featured showing coloured images of the interviewees beside black and white images of the interviewees when young. DVD features the same images as the front cover.

Historical information

This is the story of the women of the bush, women who performed more than the traditional duties of wife and mother. They worked alongside their men, through good/times and bad and they were rare to complain. Six former country women of the Portland/Heywood district provide us with a snapshot of life as it was from the 1920's through to the 1960's. They speak about their own and their mother's lives, lives which have experienced the greatest material and personal changes in history. The story of the 'Remarkable Mary Stuchbery' details the struggles of a wife and family whose husband/father contracted polio shortly after returning from WWII service. Garry Kerr has produced a series of local history stories, initially for the Heywood [history group] and more recent items privately.

Significance

The material contained in these interviews provides a first-hand insight into the experiences of women who were involved in carving farms from virgin bush. Their recollections of work, social activities and opportunities for their children are an invaluable primary source.

Inscriptions & Markings

Garry Kerr's LOCAL HISTORY Series 5/On Our Selection/The/Women's/Story/Produced by Garry Kerr (front) WOMEN WERE THE UNSUNG HEROES OF THE BUSH/This is the story of the women of the bush [see historical information] ... Running time 74 minutes/Plus an additional 30 minutes of/'The Remarkable Mary Stuchbery'

Booklet - Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Company Ltd

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Brown soft cover 12 page booklet 'Memorandum & Articles of Association of Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory Company Ltd', with black border around the black text.

Historical information

The Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Company Limited was established in 1888 at Allansford and remained as an independent dairy manufacturer until 2014 when it was taken over by Canadian company Saputo. The factory was burnt in 1929 and all records lost. This booklet is a reprint of the original.

Significance

Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Company Ltd was the earliest dairy manufacturer registered in Victoria. Registered in May 1888, it commenced processing in November 1888. The Articles record the early rules of the company and some of those early people involved in the company.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Companies Act 1864/ Memorandum/ and/ Articles of Association/ of/ The Warrnambool Cheese/ and/ Butter Factory Company Ltd/ Warrnambool: / The Modern Printing Company, Koroit St/ 1932

Gaslight Holder

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Pressed steel black ornate gaslight holder with two swirls- one above and below each other and cast iron flowers attached to the upper support. valve to turn the gas on and off.

Toys - Mettoy toy typewriter

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Red tin typewriter with a blue roller carriage, metal bar to hold the paper and a knob at the end of the roller to turn the paper. A red and black inked ribbon is stretched across in front so that when the chosen letter is selected and the press bar activated, the letter types onto the paper. A yellow disk on top has the alphabet and numbers 2-9 around the outside.

Historical information

This toy belonged to Graeme McLeod and was used during the late 1940s and early 1950s. It was then used by his children during the 1970s and 1980s.

Inscriptions & Markings

METTYPE Junior/Place letter under pointer and press for spaces and to return carriage use arrow. [on top disk]

Toilet set, soap dish

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Cream china soap dish with lid and drainer. The dish has a lip decorated in green with swirling green stripes on body. The lid has a green D-shaped handle with swirling green stripes to match dish. A white china drainer with green rim and 7 drain holes sits on the inside rim. Part of a toilet set consisting of bowl, ewer, soap dish and toothbrush holder.

Historical information

Part of the Uebergang Collection. Used by the Percy Uebergang family.

Manual - The Murray 'Vacreator' Vacuum Pasteuriser: a manual for butter makers

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

A buff coloured with brown print on the cover. A border of fine lines surrounds the text. There are explanatory diagrams throughout the book.

Inscriptions & Markings

The Murray Vacreator Vacuum Pasteuriser/A Manual for Buttermakers/Covering Type 'M', 'Junior' and 'Baby' Vacreator Vacuum Pasteuriser Units/with Compliments of Murray Deodorisers Ltd/CPO Box 885- Auckland, New Zealand/designed to treat the Cream of the world's butter

Photograph - Johann Gottlieb Adler c1880

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Black & white photograph of barded man in suit with bowtie, mounted in oval mat in brown frame with plaster decorations.

Historical information

Portrait of Johann Gottlieb Adler, farmer, c1880. Adler came from Silesia in Germany to Port Phillip in 1848. His story is recorded in the Uebergang family history (The Uebergang Families in Australia 1848-1985, pp.43-48) which includes a list of descendants.

Food Safe

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Wooden cabinet with wire mesh inserts on sides and doors. Swivel door with latch at the top and three shelves. Polished pine body with rough sawn timber back. A raised surround on three sides of the top. Evidence of a latch hook on left hand door and keyhole on right hand door.

Box, butter

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Wooden butter box with broken ends and a hole in the bottom.Constructed using thin ply ends, sides and base with square wooden struts tied with wire to strengthen the box. The trade mark on the end of the box is an oval with text around a map of Australia with the word AUSTRALIA printing across the map.

Historical information

This butter box belonged to Jack Gore of Warrnambool who used it in his garage to store car parts. It is connected to Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Company Limited through the box manufacturer, Peter John McGennan, who was one of the instigators of the factory. Cobden and Warrnambool factories were the first two co-operative factories to produce butter in Victoria, both commencing in 1888. Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Company Ltd is the only remaining independent butter factory still using its original name. It is an example of the manner in which butter was packed for export from the late 19th century until well into the 20th century. Its innovative design is light but strong, using plywood for the box body and struts 'stitched' to the body with wire. The ply was originally pine imported from New Zealand which did not taint the butter. Following the exclusion of the timber from NZ, plantations of local pine were planted and used. McGennan's box factory supplied butter boxes to the majority of butter factories in Victoria, producing up to half a million boxes per year by 1917.

Significance

This Cobden butter box is historically significant relating to the butter industry and a rare item. Not many of these exist.

Inscriptions & Markings

COBDEN/PURE CREAMERY BUTTER/56lb Net/VICTORIA/REGD No.528

Wash stand

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Pine wash stand with shelf and towel rail. it has turned legs and towel rail supports, a curved shaped back, bow shaped front and a hole cut in the top for the wash basin.

Jar - Pottery cream jar

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Small urn-shaped stoneware cream jar with blue shield-shaped label printed on the front, featuring a logo of a cow's head in a circle with double line around it.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. The cream jar was part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.O 30 Carrick's Cumberland Dairy is a UK firm located at Low Row near Brampton.

Inscriptions & Markings

CARRICKS CUMBERLAND/ DAIRY CO LTD/PURE/THICK CREAM/ FRESH DAILY/ LOW ROW/ ASPATRIA

Centrifuge, electric

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Round green metal container with opening lid. Inside houses a spinning rotor with 20 test tube holders around the outside in two circular rows.

Historical information

This Babcock tester was used in the laboratory at the Kraft cheese factory, Allansford. When it was superseded it was passed to one of the users of the machine, Les O'Callaghan, president of the Warrnambool & District Historical Society who placed it in the historical society collection. In 2009 when the historical society premises were upgraded there was insufficient room to store the tester so it was donated to Cheese World Museum. The machine was used to test the butterfat content of milk. Prior to dairy factories coming into existence farmers made butter individually on farms. There was no need for milk testing until farmers supplied factories for payment. Payment was based on a gallon of milk weighing 10lbs (pounds) and this led to richer milk, containing a high degree of butterfat for use in buttermaking, being paid at the same rate as lesser quality milk. In 1890 Stephen Moulton Babcock, an American professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, developed a method of determining the amount of butterfat in milk, thus providing a standardised and fairer system for payment. Babcock Test Process 1. 18 grams of milk (17.6ml) was put into a test tube 2. The same amount of sulphuric acid was added 3. A centrifuge at 50ºC was rotated at more than 900 revs per minute 4. The fat floating on top of the liquid in the test tube was measured The Babcock Test provided fairer compensation to farmers and also helped produce a consistent product for consumers. It also allowed for selective breeding when dairy herd testing evolved. ‘The Babcock Test is so simple that it can be used by any careful person, and it is inexpensive to operate. From the very beginning it was so complete in every detail that no change has had to be made in it.’ (Babcock Test http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wki/Babcock_test 31 March 2009)

Inscriptions & Markings

7173 BABCOCKTESTER 190

Binoculars

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Binoculars have brass collapsible barrels with a central winding mechanism to adjust focus. The underneath and the end of the barrels are painted black. Screw-in magnifiers are attached on a separate plate to the winding mechanism.

Historical information

The Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 to 1992. The binoculars were given into the care of Cheese World Museum as part of the collection of items relating to rural living.

Inscriptions & Markings

Uebergang No. H139; 939

Iron - simple flat iron

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Simple flat iron with heavy metal base and a curved handle riveted to the base.

Historical information

Purchased at a clearing sale.

Inscriptions & Markings

A

Exercise Book - A Carroll Exercise Book

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Fawn coloured exercise book with pictures of old sewing machines on the front cover and Arithmetic tables on the back in blue printing. The contents include farm records from 1935 to 1945 documenting income from dairy, calves and pigs.

Historical information

This exercise book was donated by Donna Daly, who found it among her parents belongings. Her parents were Josie and Tich Kelly and she was unsure of the connection with A Carroll.

Significance

This document is significant as it indicates records kept on-farm by some farmers. It records prices received for milk, calves, pigs and the amount of the government subsidy during this period which covers the time of World War II. It provides an interesting comparison with the Taylor milk passbook from 1895 and associated milk slips which are also held by Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory.

Inscriptions & Markings

A Carroll (front cover) A Carroll, Mepunga West (back cover)

Petrol bowser - Super Plume

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Historical information

The Uebergang family came from Silesia to Australia in 1848 and were early settlers in the Allansford area. The sons and other descendants also purchased farms in the area. The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992 after which the property was sold. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. The collection of items from their property was put into store for a number of years before being given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The family often re-used, recycled and repaired items and examples can be seen in the museum. This petrol pump is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. As with many rural families the Uebergangs had bulk fuel supplies on-farm. The bowser was used to refuel farm machinery. Mobil's Super Plume petrol was one of the many brands of petrol available from the late 1920s. No electricity was required to work this bowser as it was gravity fed. The amount of petrol was selected by the position of the front lever. Petrol was then pumped into the bowl by the handle on the side of the bowser and gravity=fed to the vehicle.

Significance

This petrol bowser is an example of a 1920s petrol bowser.

Scales - Kitchen scales

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Heavy silver-coloured cast iron balance scales with an 8-sided tray to hold the weights, and a 4-armed cradle to hold the tin ingredient tray. The scooped ingredient tray has folded edges.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. The scales were part of the collection of kitchen items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum.

Inscriptions & Markings

TO WEIGH 14lb (on base: Uebergang No.F16)

Sign - Supplier gate sign

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Beige steel supplier identification gate sign with green lettering and Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Co Ltd logo printed on top left hand corner.

Historical information

Supplier identification gate sign used to identify a farm for milk collection by factory milk tankers. The sign showed the factory supplier's name and farm number. EJ (Ted) Delaney farmed at Nirranda South and was a company director for several years.

Inscriptions & Markings

WCBF E.J.DELANEY 211/ Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Co Ltd. Established 1888

Trophy

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Wooden trophy in form of cut-out shape of Victoria mounted on a plinth by two gold-coloured rods. Details of the award printed in black on the shaped area and a small plaque noting details of winner attached to the plinth.

Historical information

Awards for cheese quality have been part of the dairy industry since the 19th century and are designed to maintain and continue improving the quality and flavour of cheeses manufactured in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Rhodia DIAA Dairy Product Awards 2001/Rhodia Australia Award/Highest Scoring Cheddar Cheese - Mild in Class 7 Base plate - Presented to/Warrnambool/Cheese & Butter Factory Ltd

Book - The Chislett Story

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Red cardboard covered book with title in gold print within a fine gold border detailing the history of the Chislett family.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This book is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The Chislett family were early district settlers. The book was compiled for the family reunion held at Allansford on 7 March 1982. Wendy Boyle wrote the preface.

Inscriptions & Markings

Family History of George and Hope Chislett and their descendants. 288 [written inside front cover]

Advertising mobile - Barnes Honey bee

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Honey bee printed on card and mounted in a blue painted metal holder. On the front the bee is striped black and orange with 2 large wings and 1 small wing in white with black line detail. On the back is advertising material for Barnes honey -text and a drawing of a bee with wings folded. The metal stand has a loop at either end. The loop on one end has a piece of string tied through it to hang up the bee mobile.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This advertising mobile is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The van Nooten family purchased the neighbouring property Tooram from the Neale family.

Inscriptions & Markings

BARNES/28 FIRST PRIZES/PURE HONEY/Awarded GRAND PRIX. Franco-British Exhibition/HONEY/HOMELL/WHOLEMEAL FLOUR/SELF-RAISING/For SCONES, BISCUITS and BREAD/FRU-ITY FLAKES/For PORRIDGE/SUNLIT/CREAM HONEY/W.J. & F. BARNES Pty Ltd/550 SWAN ST.,/BURNLEY, (printed) JANET/VAN/NOOTEN (child's handwriting in pencil)

Document - School test -arithemetic Grade VI

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

A single page printed in black ink on dull orange coloured paper with tests arithmetic, grammar and composition for Class VI, No.65, 1904 composed by the Education Department, Victoria.

Historical information

The Uebergang family came from Silesia to Australia in 1848 and were early settlers in the Allansford area. The sons and other descendants also purchased farms in the area. The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992 after which the property was sold. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. The collection of items from their property was put into store for a number of years before being given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The family often re-used, recycled and repaired items and examples can be seen in the museum. This item is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The Victorian Education Department compiled set tests for schools. This test aimed at Year 6 students dates from 1904 and includes some complex written arithmetic problems, grammar analysis and an essay on 'Clothing'.

Significance

This test sheet is significant as an example of the level expected of Class VI students in 1904.

Inscriptions & Markings

EDUCATION DEPARTMENT, VICTORIA/CLASS VI/No.65, 1904/WRITTEN ARITHMETIC/ … /GRAMMAR/…/COMPOSITION

Catalogue - To Dairymen & Agriculturalists: Milk Cream and Butter

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Blue covered catalogue booklet with white text and illustrations of a cow, separator, butter maker and butter slicer machines.

Historical information

This catalogue belonged to Alderdice Brass Foundry in Warrnambool. It was donated to the museum by John Downing from the foundry. The catalogue is for the firm of J Bartram & Son who were suppliers of dairy equipment. They were one of the earliest suppliers of mechanical milking machines in Victoria.

Significance

The catalogue is significant as it is from an early dairy supplier and shows early dairy equipment. The Alderdice Brass Foundry has been in operation since the 19th century.

Inscriptions & Markings

To Dairymen &/Agriculturalists/Milk/Cream/and/Butter J.BARTRAM & SON. PTY. LTD./586-588 BOURKE ST./MELBOURNE

Iron - spirit iron

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Omega spirit iron with cast base and semi-circular airholes at the edge. The metal bottom is polished. A hooked clip holds the top plate in place and the wooden handle is D-shaped. The silvered supply tank has a jet control.

Historical information

No known provenance

Inscriptions & Markings

OMEGA Ω (Greek symbol on opposite side of top plate)

Diary - Charles H Uebergang Diary

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Photocopied booklet of Business Diary of 'Charles Henry Uebergang of Cudgee' held together with one staple.

Historical information

Charles Henry Uebergang was the grandfather of Ray and Joyce Uebergang and this diary was acquired as part of the Uebergang Collection. The diary notes items about business and family.

Certificate - Nantwich International Show 1995

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Product award, red oblong certificate with black print from Nantwich Agricultural Society.

Historical information

Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Company Ltd commenced operation in 1888 and remained locally owned until 2014 when it was acquired by Canadian company Saputo. Subsidiary Warrnambool Milk Products exhibited items at various dairy exhibitions as a means of promoting and improving their product.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nantwich Agricultural Society Ltd/ Nantwich International Show 1995/ Cheese and Dairy Produce/ Cheese First Prize/ Class No DP 15 Exhibitor Warrnambool Milk Products (4) Karen L Wright Competitive Entries Secretary/ George Lawrence Society Secretary

Book - Merry and Bright

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Children's picture book with full colour cover featuring a yellow border. The front cover shows two Negro children sitting on a gate; the girl is dressed in blue with a yellow headscarf, the boy is dressed in yellow striped trousers, red and white spotted shirt and is playing a banjo. The title 'Merry and Bright' is red with yellow shadowing. The back cover shows two boys in a bedroom boxing one another, together with a wee black and tan dog.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. This book is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.M1704 The book was given to Joyce Uebergang as a Christmas present from her aunt.

Inscriptions & Markings

To Joyce from Auntie Aggie Xmas 1933/This book belongs to Joyce Uebergang

Churn, butter

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Butter churn with silver galvanised tin bowl and agitator on a green cast iron support. The handle with wooden hand-hold is operated by 2 toothed cogs.

Kitchenalia - Knife sharpener

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

A metal device with two sharpening discs enclosed attached to a brown wooden circular base. A U-shaped metal handle angles up from the base. The base has a paper label which has deteriorated and is unreadable. The knife is sharpened by drawing the blade across the central slot.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This knife sharpener is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.F 24

Bottle - Stone hot water bottle

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Brown stoneware cylindrical hot water bottle with dark brown knob at one end used as a handle; a round hole in dark brown on top used to fill the bottle, stopper missing; slightly flattened base to prevent rolling.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This hot water bottle is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.F61

Inscriptions & Markings

Uebergang No. F61 (on base)

Toilet set, ewer

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Large ewer with green rim and cream body decorated with swirling green stripes. The handle is green at the top changing to cream at the bottom. The interior is cream.

Historical information

Part of the Uebergang Collection. The ewer sits in a matching bowl and would have been used for ablutions in the bedroom. It has a matching bowl, soap dish and toothbrush holder..

Inscriptions & Markings

1796.1

Photograph - Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Co Ltd site 2000 -aerial view

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Aerial colour photograph of Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory in wooden frame. Shows buildings and surrounds. Lines indicate factory boundaries, dotted lines indicate property extension. Date is recorded on the image.

Historical information

Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory Company was formed by a group of Warrnambool business men. The company was registered in May 1888 and commenced commercial production in November 1888. The company retained its independence for more than 125 years until acquired by Canadian firm Saputo. It has operated from the same site since its inception and also has an office in Japan. Milk processing is undertaken by Sungold. Milk powder for export is also produced on-site. Cheese World is a retail arm of the company operates on a connected site selling company products, local food products, wine and cheese tasting. Cheese World Museum operates under the Cheese World umbrella.

Inscriptions & Markings

17.10.2000

Writing Desk and Bookcase

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Wooden bookcase mounted on top of a desk. The bookcase has two glass panelled doors and three shelves. the right side door has a keyhole. Pediment overhang of 7 cm. the desk has a locking drawer and two cupboards underneath. The drawer has two recessed brass handles.

Trophy

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Round silver-plated tray with raised embossed and beaded edge; inscription on disc in centre of tray. Encased in square timber presentation box with glass lid and lined with blue fabric.

Historical information

Presented to Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory in 2003 as part of the Dairy Industry Association of Australia awards for factory physical appearance and presentation.

Inscriptions & Markings

Best Kept Factory Award/Western District DIAA/Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory 2003/Proudly Sponsored by Ensign the Uniform People

Book - Nullawarre School Centenary and District History

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

A cream coloured booklet with sepia coloured text and photographs of the school.

Historical information

LeThe Uebergang family came from Silesia to Australia in 1848 and were early settlers in the Allansford area. The sons and other descendants also purchased farms in the area. The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992 after which the property was sold. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. The collection of items from their property was put into store for a number of years before being given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. The family often re-used, recycled and repaired items and examples can be seen in the museum. This item is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Nullawarre State School No.1652 opened in 1875 on a site donated by George Henry. The weatherboard school was 27ft by 18ft. Margaret Mathieson was the first of the 17 pupils registered. The first head teacher was Charles A Bruford. The first building was replaced with a new building by 1975 when the celebrations took place. A brief history of Nullawarre township and some of its early residents is also included. Early families include Mathieson, Burleigh, LeCouteur, Wallace and Hesketh. A photograph of the Nirranda and District WWI Honor Roll details those from the Nullawarre area who served. Today the school has been enlarged and is now Nullawarre and District Primary School.

Significance

This booklet is significant as it provides a history of Nullawarre school and an overview of the Nullawarre district and some of its early residents.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nullawarre School Centenary/and/District History/OLD SCHOOL-1975/NEW SCHOOL-1975/"BackTo" Celebrations/-Easter 1975-/SOUVENIR BOOKLET

Butter printer

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Wooden Eureka brand butter printer and weigher with dovetailed corners on the bulk butter box, wooden rollers for moving butter along once cut and wire cutter.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This butter cutter is part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. It was in the early 1900s for hand-use in home dairies or small factories.

Significance

An example of an early butter packaging machine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Eureka/J Bartram & Son/sole makers Uebergang No. U027

Saucepan

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Aluminium double saucepan with two steel handles attached with three rivets and a hole in each and etched trade. The lift-off lid has a bakelite handle and a trade mark in a triangle featuring an image of a swan.

Historical information

This saucepan belonged to Doris Orr who mostly used it for heating milk.

Inscriptions & Markings

On lid: SWAN BRAND/TRADE MARK BRITISHMADE On saucepan: SWAN BRAND/TRADE MARK BRITISH MADE

Stereoscope

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Wooden frame with two-lense metal viewer. The metal viewer is an oval shape with an etched pattern and suede-covered edge. A removable wood and metal attachment has two wire holders for the stereograph cards. There is a folding spindle-shaped wooden handle attached to the base with a metal fitting. The stereograph is housed in a black cardboard box with 'Rose Stereographs' on the lid. The double-image stereo cards are stored separately.

Historical information

Part of the Uebergang Collection (H49). This would have been used by Ray and Joyce Uebergang as children during the 1930s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Base: PAT'D APR 20 1897 SEP 20

Scales - Post Office scales

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Red Post Office wedge-shaped scales with rectangular base and spring-loaded top plate; white dial face marked to 16oz by 1/8 oz increments. Marked Domestic Use Only. Manufacturer's details marked in gold on the front of the scales.

Historical information

These scales were used in the post office which was located at Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory.

Inscriptions & Markings

No.63 (on base) POST OFFICE/Persinware/Made in Australia

Machine, rope maker

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Rope making machine consisting of a circular metal disk with four rotating hooks; cogs which turn the machine are visible on the inner side; and a curved metal handle with a wooden grip on the reverse side.

Historical information

Used on the Hunt property at Cudgee from the early 1900s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Continental Trading Corp Ltd, Chicago, USA. Patented July 1911. The New Era Rope Machine. Keep oiled.

Table - Cheddar cheese table

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Rectangular wooden table with trough top, two rounded handles at either end and four legs with stays at either end; has been lime washed on the outside.

Historical information

Believed to have come from Tooram where it was used for cheese making. Tooram commenced cheese manufacture in the mid 19th century in a purpose-built bluestone factory beside the homestead. It was initially set up by Pierce and a long article in the Warrnambool Standard describes the factory and its processes. Cheese production continued through changes of ownership until the 1930s when the Uebergangs ceased making cheese on site. The table was auctioned at Panmure and purchased by 'Flapper' Clarke of Panmure who donated it to the museum in 2012.

Bowl - Colgate's shaving soap

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

Round black Bakelite shaving soap dish with screw-top lid and three small legs; paper label on lid.

Historical information

The Percy Uebergang family lived at Tooram Park, Allansford from 1912 until 1992. Percy and Myrtle Uebergang's children were twins, Ray and Joyce born in 1926 who lived at Tooram Park until their deaths, Ray in 1986 and Joyce in 1992. Neither Ray nor Joyce married and following the death of her brother Joyce set up the Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation which supports the local community. This shaving soap dish iis part of the collection of items given into the care of the Cheese World Museum. Uebergang catalogue No.F33

Inscriptions & Markings

Colgate's (on centre of lid); COLGATE'S SHAVING BOWL (on base)

Cruet set

Cheese World Museum, Allansford

This cruet set has a diamond-shaped silver plated tray with four knobs for legs. A hoop-shaped frame is screwed underneath and holds four circular frames for holding condiment bottles. The frame has a truncated triangular top. Four crystal cut bottles with a diamond pattern fit into the framework. Two have crystal cut glass stoppers and two have silver-plated lids. One silver lid is hinged and has a spoon hole and the other has many small holes (for pepper?).

Historical information

This cruet set belonged to the Orr family of Addington, family of the donor.

Significance

This is typical of a table condiment set.